What type of grease?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LANDGUARD, Feb 20, 2003.

1. LANDGUARD

LANDGUARD LawnSite Member

I have been told by my Dixie dealer that his Gator Grease brand will make the mower last twice as long (sounds like a sales pitch). I have been out of the industry for several years and have always in the past used some synthetic type of grease but was wondering what the consensus on new or proven brands are or do you just use whatever comes along. Any input is appreciated(brands,cost,places for great deals,etc...).

Thanks

2. yardman1

yardman1 LawnSite Senior Member

I like Lucas grease, had good luck with it.

3. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: amsoil grease here, NEVER had a grease related problem

4. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I use Chevron grease. The red stuff....It matches my machines........Never had a grease related problem....
    My motto on grease: "Out with the old..in with the new"

5. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

I am going out on a huge limb here but……..as long as you grease your machine regularly you should be fine no matter what brand of grease you choose. Yes I will say that synthetic grease is probably better then dino grease.

Gravely_Man

6. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I use Mobile 1 synthetic. Its about $5 a tube.

7. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I use any grease that I can find between $2-5 a tube. Trailer wheel bearing grease works great for the spindels.

8. PR0 TURF

PR0 TURF LawnSite Bronze Member

I've always used the cheapest grease that was around...but just recently ive switched over to a "marine" grease of some sort which im much more impressed with by the look of it and supposedly is waterproof or water deterent. Its only around $4 a tube at the local parts store.
    :blob3:

9. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

one factor to consider is that marine grease will not wash out like regular grease. main thing dont let any wear point run dry.

10. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I've used the Valvoline Multi-blend for several years. I like it because it doesn't wash off easy. We've been caught in a lot of rain here for the last 2 years and I've yet to have a grease problem.