1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

What type of hedge trimmer is this?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by jake20, Jul 8, 2009.

1. jake20

jake20 LawnSite Member

Looking to start cutting my own Ficus bushes.. They are pretty tall, around 6-7 feet i would say.

I see the local landscaping guys using this big hedge trimmer that has some kind of debris gaurd on the single edge blade, (looks like a big letter F almost)and it just slices through like butter.

Every trimmer I have seen does not seem to show this debris guard on it.
    Where can I get a trimmer like this?

thanks!

2. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

Something like this?

3. jake20

jake20 LawnSite Member

that is exactly it!

but why does this seem to be so hard to find? I have not seen this for any of the top brand hedge trimmers locally.
    Does Tanaka make a good hedge trimmer?

4. bighaydenslawn

bighaydenslawn LawnSite Senior Member

5. jake20

jake20 LawnSite Member

thanks for that video!
    Yea, not sure if there is a local dealer but i do see that Norwalk Power website does carry them, and actaully Amazon.com has them as well.

This is the one i am looking at
    http://www.norwalkpower.net/Tanaka_HTS_2530PF_Commercial_Single_Sided_p/tanaka-hts-2530pf.htm

6. david shumaker

david shumaker LawnSite Senior Member

I think the single sided clippers are slow. I use the double bladed. There are several good brands to choose from. I have Echo and Stihl. I have a pair of Echo single sided but rarely use them.

7. BJWLAWNCARE

BJWLAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member

I disagree...I have had many clippers but use the ones listed below now. Hands down the Shindy 40 whatever sigle sided is the fastest. It does have the guard on it.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
  8. jake20

jake20 LawnSite Member

9. jake20

jake20 LawnSite Member

I went to a local dealer and took a look at all the various models, and I think I like the feel of the Shindaiwa 30" hedge trimmer the best.
    I did like how much range you can cover with the 40" but it did seem like it limited my maneuverability a little too much, and it is also heavier than the 30" obviously.
    The sales guy was actually raving about the Shindaiwa ariculating trimmer as well, as it seemed really versaitle, but it was a little too versatile for my needs.
    I just need to plow through long lines of straight ficus.

So now I think i just have to decide between the 30 or 40"
    I am leaning towards the 30" right now, just because its a lot easier to handle and maneuver, but i am still not sure!
    [​IMG]

10. BJWLAWNCARE

BJWLAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member