What type of hedge trimmer should I get?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LouisianaLawnboy, Jun 8, 2009.

1. LouisianaLawnboy

LouisianaLawnboy LawnSite Silver Member

What are you guys recommendations for a good hedge trimmer that I won't use that much.

I have a M242 Shindy that I have the chainsaw attachment and I'm thinking of just getting the hedge trimmer attachment for like 250.00.

2. BadRancher

BadRancher LawnSite Fanatic

Spend 70.00 more and get some RedMax trimmers. I love mine. Whatever you do don't get the Stihl, they are made in china.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. frotis

frotis LawnSite Senior Member

4. kaferhaus

kaferhaus LawnSite Bronze Member

I doubt that as they use the same head assembly as the purpose made trimmer, just a split shaft.

We've been using them for several years without the first problem.

Make sure you get a double sided blade though. the single side blade trimmers are worthless no matter who makes them.

5. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

Ive been thinking of getting one of the red max attatchment ones with a hedge trimmer, saw & edger. Any reasons to not go this route?

6. LouisianaLawnboy

LouisianaLawnboy LawnSite Silver Member

Ya why not get the attachment?

7. BadRancher

BadRancher LawnSite Fanatic

The Stihl trimmers are made in China, thats why I have RedMax and everything else Stihl. It says it on the side of the trimmers. The RedMax trimmers are good. 320.00-340.00 depending on the the dealer and you don't have to deal with the hassle of switching attachments.

But Kaferhaus has been in the business alot longer than I have so You should probably head his advice.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2009
  8. 4.3mudder

4.3mudder LawnSite Silver Member

Stihl all the way for me. I have a HS72 and HS45, I use the 45 more because of the longer blades. Only compaint is the small tank.

9. Wizz

Wizz LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

I use the Kawasaki 600D dual sided blade. The 'D' series is commercial and the 'S' series is semi-commercial (commercial series has better blade and gearbox than semi commercial). It performs very well and the motor is very smooth and easy to start and they're not heavy. I bought my 600D for ~$275...the 600S is a little less. Here is their website in case it helps you out: http://www.kawpowr.com/pp/category.aspx?id=5 Have fun shopping.

10. hummingbird3d

hummingbird3d LawnSite Member

I asked about this awhile back and one piece of advice that I am glad to have gone with is to get one that is double edged. My shoulders get tired so I change grips, so a single sided blade would make switching difficult. One thing that I wished some one were to point out is the weight factor.

I have a Maruyama HT2300DR which has a listed weight of 10.9 pounds. Although I can do heavy lateral raises and barbell shoulder presses, Slinging around a 10.9 pound trimmer gets heavy fast. Other that this I like the power this trimmer has to go through thick vines and it cuts well. It has a rotating handle, but this feature hasn't really proven to be significant in helping me out. Overall it is good so I'd recommend this one on your list to consider.