1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What type of Hedger to get

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by McSons, Apr 10, 2004.

1. McSons

McSons LawnSite Member

I am looking for a good quality hedger. Can anyone recommend one I can use as well as my 14 yr old son. Double on Single cut? (what's the advantage of each) 24" or 30"? Husqvarna, stihl, echo, john deere, shindaiwa? We will be doing about 15 accounts total.
  2. LawnsRUsInc.

LawnsRUsInc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Personally me and the guys like the double they fell much easier to use. Now with the brand name thats really up to you. We us all stihl. The one thing about the stihl that i like is that the handle can swival.

3. HayBay

HayBay LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I have used my TANAKA hedge trimmer for at least 10 years now.
    I am quite surprised that it works as well for so long. I continually lubricate my blades and I have cut through thick cedar hedging regularly with no consequences. I have pushed my unit very hard and its still running great. I also maintain the blades as sharp as possible. My unit is a one sided cutter about 24".
  4. gogetter

gogetter Banned

How much are you looking to spend? Using it on smaller or larger hedges?

I like double sided blades because you can sorta swing it back and forth and cut in either direction.

I have 24" and 30" models. I use the 24" on smaller, more detailed stuff, and the 30" on bigger stuff.

If you don't want to spend a ton of money at first, look on ebay for the Echo 1500 model. I bought mine on there for like $75 less then what they would cost at a local shop. And they're brand new in the box.
    They're a good starter model.
  5. BW4486

BW4486 LawnSite Member

I agree completely, I would never use single sided hedgers, we use nothing but Stihl HS45 HS80 & HL85,
  6. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

I have bought all most every brand. I used to prefer the Tanaka 30inch double until this year when Tanaka changed its motor to a clean burn P.O.S.. Now my favorite is the Shindawa 30 inch double. Its a little heavier than the Tanaka but cuts great and has mucho power. Better unit than the Stihl or Echo.
  7. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Stihl HS45 24" and a Long shaft Hedge trimmer. I have never had a prblem with my HS45 and made more than 100 X what I paid for it. It is light and easily manuverable and is double sided. The small tank of fuel lasts about 45 minutes or a little less on really thick stuff. Nice machine. always starts on the first pull. 3 years old and almost broke in.
  8. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I too am in the market for my first hedge clippers. I am looking at the Redmax CHT2301. It's a 24" double edged model that sells for $399.

Anyone have this model and what do you think about it?

9. bottlefed89

bottlefed89 LawnSite Member

got the stihl hs80's today, I think it was $359.
  10. Tanaka

Tanaka Inactive

FYI - The Tanaka THT-210S (26" Double-sided blades, S Start, swivel handle) is $329.99.

Mark Woodling