1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What type of laptop/notebook do you use

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Royallawncare, Jul 25, 2005.

1. Royallawncare

Royallawncare LawnSite Member

i am currently purchasing a new laptop/notebook to run all of my books through i will be using sometype of software like gopher, pro landscape, quick books, and other lawncare billing software. Which one should i buy?
  2. jtrice11

jtrice11 LawnSite Senior Member

Order a Dell. Best service, best price. Solid machine. Tell the guy what you are using it for and they'll set you up.
  3. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Dell's are fantastic,and your right the service we have received has been very good.

Gateway's are very good to ,we have one of those to.Gateway,dell,compaq all very good laptops.
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

The notebook I use is made by the Meade paper mfg. co. :)
    Very reliable also but you do need some ink sticks to power it up righteous.
  5. Something D

Something D LawnSite Member
    from East TN

I agree. Dells are great. You can also find refurbished Dell laptops pretty reasonable on their website I think its under "outlet".
  6. arpat2

arpat2 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Dell. Hands down!!
  7. rough cut

rough cut LawnSite Member

Why a laptop? You bring it out to the job sites? For the price of a good laptop you could get 2 desktop systems! One for the office and one for home. I own a computer business and I don't/wouldn't own a laptop. They are over priced, under powered, easily broken, limited upgrade-ability, expensive to repair, don't hold there value and easily stolen. If you want one for portability make sure you get the Centrino processor from Intel. Battery life is much better. Just remember, light weight=$, thin case=$$, thin & light & large screen & wireless = $$$$. Look at Dell, HP and Sony. Stay away from IBM, they just sold (transfered) the laptop division to China and will be a while before the quality is up to par.
  8. Royallawncare

Royallawncare LawnSite Member

Any specific models that you have had good experiences with and what type of ball park am i lookin in?
  9. rough cut

rough cut LawnSite Member

Let me know what you want in a laptop. Want it just to run customer tracking and accounting? Doesn't take much to run just that. Want to surf the 'net wireless? Takes a bit more power. Want to watch a DVD in surround sound with a built in sub woofer? Better add some zeros to that check! Just a quick shopping list of features: 17" screen helps alot for looking at excel spread sheets, Centrino or Mobile processor for better battery life, 60GB hard drive or larger for storage, CD burner minimum possibly DVD burner, floppy disk drive if you have small files needing transfer (some don't even have this option), built in network connection, wireless 802.11 a,b,g standards, and possible modem, Windows XP Pro (NOT XP HOME!) and 512MB RAM. Just remember, smaller and lighter also means less features. Some notebooks models don't even have any external drives (floppy & CD/DVD) just to save weight. Full featured laptops weigh around 9 lbs. while smaller, less featured notebooks weigh around 3.5 lbs. Basic cost for a mid level laptop around $2,000. A Dell Inspiron 9300 is about $2,400 but on-line is about $2,050. Its a good quality laptop and better than average customer service. Check around locally though for a non-chain store shop. By purchasing local you'll get better service and attention. Price maybe $100-$200 more but its nice to pick up the phone and talk to a person from the US. Most of the big makers have sent tech support offshore to India. One of my selling points is if you have a problem, here is MY cell phone number, call day or night and if we can't fix it over the phone I'll meet you some place or come to your home and fix it. BEWARE!!! most makers are saving money by "giving" you only a 90 day warranty. Look at this with great attention. What seems like a one, two or three year warranty is just phone tech support. If it turns out to be a hardware issue, you are SOL. Let me know if I can help.
  10. SouthernYankee

SouthernYankee LawnSite Senior Member

Listen to Rough Cut,

I have a dell inpiron and would never buy another dell product again. When my dvd broke, I had to call India and talk to someone that barely spoke english, I had to call back several times to find someone that spoke english that I could actually understand. Dell might be good when you are making the sale, but if something breaks, you will be calling India or Asia. Dell also wants you to do your repairs, they wanted me to install a new hardrive , but after I insisted that they fix my piece computer they finally took it bad and fixed it. I am on my second hardrive, 3rd dvd drive, 2nd keyboard. I thought I was alone with these problems, but many of my friends had the exact problems, with dell having them call someone who cant speak english.

Check out conusmer reports...before you buy...