1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What type of machine do you use to edge?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KingMoneyNYC, Apr 27, 2008.

1. KingMoneyNYC

KingMoneyNYC LawnSite Member

i've seen some people use trimmers to do edging, I feel that unless you are really skilled with a trimmer, it will give you a crooked edge. I've seen other people with little edging machines with wheels, are those any good? I've also seen a stick edger from redmax, with a wheel on it, anybody use that?

Thanks for the info
  2. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

I use a Stihl FC110, if I don't feel like walking back to the ruck I'll just use my trimmer.
  3. lawnboy858

lawnboy858 LawnSite Senior Member

I have the redmax edger with "the wheel" on it.

It works like a charm.
  4. CFB

CFB LawnSite Senior Member

FC110 for me too. Has a lot of power but cutting through severe overgrowth, on a sidewalk that has probalby never been edged is difficult to do. It can do it though, just takes awhile.
  5. grasskicker71

grasskicker71 LawnSite Member

I use an echo with the wheel. It is much more productive than trimmer. You can walk at a good pace and not have to worry about the lines, stays right at the edge of concrete.If you use a trimmer it can do a good job too. Takes a little more time and more trimmer line used.
  6. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

EZ trench bedscaper for new or over grown beds, Tanaka TLE 500 for overgrown walks and curbs, and Stihl 110 for maintaining all once under control. I've been meaning to try some Trenchblades for maintaining bed edges.
  7. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

What lawn maintenance requires skill??????????????? gosh, I thought anyone could edge with a weed eater? We only use Stihl FS250R with the edger, and that is on new accounts or 1st edging of the season. Edging with a weedeater is a mandatory skill in my crew or, if you BS on your weedeater skills your fired. Some employee's just never catch on edging with a weedeater, this does require skill, unlike some folks think
  8. freshprince94

freshprince94 LawnSite Bronze Member

Echo stick edger for me.

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

Stihl FS-250R or FS-100RX for edging and trimming. I have an Echo PE-230 stick edger but we almost never use it. I agree with Nosparkplugs. Being able to edge GOOD with a trimmer is a requirement. It takes skill.
  10. 1998tahoe

1998tahoe LawnSite Member

I use my Stihl FC-85. It is very powerful and does the job for me. I used to use my FS-85 weedeater till it kicked a rock up at one ladys house and had to buy here a new Front Door Glass. :(:(