What type of Marketing shows the best response

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by bullard910, May 30, 2008.

1. bullard910

bullard910 LawnSite Member

I was wandering what marketing tool you use to get the most return for your investment. We've went door to door, passed out flyers, business cards, etc. I would just like to get your guys ideas of what has worked in the past.

2. JNyz

JNyz LawnSite Bronze Member

The best type I found out is walking up to someone who is already outside and just introducing yourself. I go up to every person who moved into the neighborhood recently and give them a card, you might not get a response then but most will save your card. This way you can target the client you want. Fliers will only get you a 1 to 3% response.

3. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

I do yard signs when I work on a prodject. One job I did drumed up the neighbor, and multiple people walking by. They are worth the investment. People would talk to me and even though they didn't need a landscaper at that point, they said they definitivly would keep me in mind.

Your quality of work, and word of mouth is awesome too. I tell my customers that if they use themselves as a reference, then I give them a free hour or two of labor. That gets them motivated to find you work.

Fliers are good too. They're cheap, and all it takes is the time to put them out.

My yellow page add stands out, but I only have it to make sure the people who know me can contact me. I don't see a good return on it like I would expect, but I live in a highly competitive market.

I have a picture thread with a yard sign in it if you would like to see it.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=230992

4. bullard910

bullard910 LawnSite Member

I like the yard sign idea, just a few questions. How long do you leave it there. Do you knock off some of the price if the customer lets you? I have seen them for other businesses around our area but have never used them myself. The flyer thing can get expensive too. I wanted to have some realy nice ones printed and I wanted a lot of them so I went to FED-EX Kinko's. Bad idea. They wanted to charge me $.50 a copy, I nearly fell out. How much do your signs run?

5. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

I basically left it there for the duration of the project. Because of family circumstances, the job took a little over a week, and I finished on a Friday, so I went back to pick it up on Mon. Morn.

I always ask before I stick a sign in their yard. Just out of common respect. Most people are more than willing to let you put it there. I even had a couple of customers ask me if I had one or not, and said I should.

Flyer's are cheap if you do them right. Simple, black and white, and no frills.

I used 1 sheet of paper to get two fliers back to back. Cost about 50 dollars for 250 sheets = 500 fliers.

Now I do have about 100 brochure style fliers that I hand out to people in person, such as a consultation or what have you. Those aren't cheap.

Sign I think runs about $125 or more. Not sure, only because a buddy of mine is a photographer/ sign maker, and he always charges me different.

I have two good metal signs and 4 cheapos. He told me that one day I'll be missing a steel sign, only because people steal them. So far so good.