What type of mower to get to start off

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Joe721, Aug 22, 2005.

1. Joe721

Joe721 LawnSite Member
    from florida

To start off in business what kind of mower should I buy first? I have a 26" mower already for small areas so that would be my secondary.. for the bigger areas should I buy a 36" walkbehind or a larger rider mower right off the bat? Thanks
  2. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

I should have gotten a 34 Gravely rider, I ended up with a 36" WB, sulky... I like it, but the 34 would have been easier on my lots.....I think it depends on your customers....homes, gates, etc...
  3. Joe721

Joe721 LawnSite Member
    from florida

I have a 26" snapper right now and its excellent and it fits through the gates with the side thing on it where the grass blows out.. so I think if I removed it and got a mulcher that grinds up grass it wouldn't be in the way so much. So really with the side thing on mower I think its like 32" or something so maybe a 34" rider would fit through.. I only have 18 accounts right now and havent really expanded in a while because not good enough equipment, but most of my yards have gates to get to backyard.. Im pretty sure the 34" would fit.
  4. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

your a pretty young guy yet right, why dont you use what you have, build your customer base, and save some money. Save and buy a truck when you get older, and other things to help you along

Why do you need a bigger mower, what is your biggest property, how many properties are you mowing?
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with this statement but will also answer the original question IF you decide to get a mower then get a USED one first so you can learn with it then once you are good with that then buy a new one.
    Also do yourself a favor and don't get anything smaller than a 44". I am not sure what the problem is here but it seems the larger percent of lco's have small 3-foot deck pistol-grip wb's which to me are all a big waste of time and money.
    I started out with 52" mowers thou I later down-sized to 48" decks as these WILL fit through MOST 4-foot gates and there are not enough 3-foot gates out there to make it worth your while to take a beating on the TIME you will lose every single yard by cutting with a deck so small that you lose a FOOT of path with every pass you make when compared to my machine, for example. Basically with a small mower you will have to make 4 passes for every 3 I make and that means you will need 25 percent more time per yard and MOST yards do NOT have a 3-foot gate and out of the yards that DO have a gate, a LOT of them are 4-footers. The few 3-foot gated yards I encounter I always leave to someone else as I laugh my tail off thinking about it.
  6. daveintoledo

you have a 26 incher that will get through any gate.....but topsites is right about bigger, if you REALLY NEED another mower get as big as you can...but like i said how many customers do you have, i dont know 5 or 25?? size of yards, all really makes a difference
  7. Joe721

Joe721 LawnSite Member
    from florida

20 but once i got a bigger mower i was going to expand. I have a truck already i just need a hitch and trailor.
  8. SFL Lawn & Landscape

SFL Lawn & Landscape LawnSite Member
    from Florida

I have a 36" Piranha Mower that I bought from Green Touch Industries. Cost me $1799 plus $100 for shipping. So far I have been very happy with it. It has a 15 HP Kawasaki that is awesome.
  9. daveintoledo

how are you gong to drive a truck at 13 ?????
  10. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I guess it would depend on the size of the properties in your area. In the country were everything is pretty big or city subs on 1/4-1/2 acre lots or all zero lot line lawns.

Personally I think the best starter mower for anyone is a belt drive 36" w/b. Don't cost as much, cut good, add sulky and do some areas pretty quick, and gets thru most all gates. Then as that mower makes you some money you can upgrade to larger mowers either w/b or rider. Most people that go out of business the first few years do it because they spend way to much getting started trying to look fancy and important with nice all new expensive equipment. Most of us that have been around a while started small and grew. We didn't try to have everything at once. Slow steady growth will give you a good return over the years. Very fast growth will give you lots of headaches, lots of debt and put you under.