What type of Mower?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by drewskee032, Sep 24, 2006.

1. drewskee032

drewskee032 LawnSite Member

I'm only 15 and have been mowing lawns in my development. I mow about 10lawns a week so i dont need a real fancy lawn mower. Any idea of what kind of mower i should get? Right now i have an LTX 1000 craftsman tracter which is basically a peace of crap. It's broken down at least twice already. I'm looking at a simplicity champion zero-turn mower b/c its affordable and i have a shop that sells them right down the street. Is this a good mower? Does anyone like them? I don't want to spend more than $5000. Another thing is that i live in a big gravel pit so there is a hill on each side of every person's house i mow. Is a simplicity champion a very good hill climber or a good hill going downer? Are there any lawn mower under $5000 that is? If you could give me some tips that'd be great!

thanks!

-Drewskee032

2. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

If you have alot of hilly area, and are not going to be doing this outside of your "development", you might be best to stay with a tractor type mower. Especially if you do not have any experience with a zero turn on hills, you could end up getting yourself killed.

3. noseha

noseha LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

you should think about a walk behind. do you need more than a 32'',36'' or 44'' maybe a 48'' you can buy one for $2,000.00 - 3,000.00 new!

4. drewskee032

I was thinking that too but what type of walk behind would u get? Althowise, i could just get a zero turn rider and use a push mower for the hills. Would that be a good idea?

5. noseha

noseha LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

your going to mow 3 or 4 years before coll. so your going to pay 1750.00 or 1500.00 a year just for your mower @ 5000. you'll pay 1000 to 750 per year @ 3000 plus walk behind will have two advantage cheaper to run plus better on hills they a small ztr

6. RedMax Man

RedMax Man LawnSite Platinum Member

Hey i'm 17 and also do landscaping. I would highly recommend a commercial walkbehind mower if your gonna be doing any properties with hills. I bought my Toro 48" commercial walkbehind mower from another landscaper. Many of my clients properties have hills and this Toro does them all. The walkbehinds have lower center of gravity than most ZTRs which makes them more stable on hills. The man that i bought mine from owned an Exmark Lazer Z HP and said that it slips and slides on many hill especialy when the grass is wet. I have a Velke sulky on my Toro so i can also ride it.
    Don't buy anything but commercial cuz it won't last!

I found mine in the WantAds and paid $1750 for the mower, Velke and a GrassGobbler catcher.

Hope this helps.:)

7. drewskee032

ive heard exmarks are really good. should i get a midsized walk behind exmark mower? or a diff brand...again, i have to do alot of hills.

8. MattsMowing3535

MattsMowing3535 LawnSite Senior Member

Im 15 too and only do a few lawns a week currently maybe 25 or so next year. Im getting a used exmark viking for 1500 this fall. Its a good time to get stuff becuse no one wants to keep something over the winter if they dont need it. Just look around on craigslist and in local add's go to dealers and ask if they have used. Ive foudn that you dont need used if you have only a few yards. You can get really good deals though. I would go with a exmark or hustler walkbehind. The exmarks are a bit more commen used. wait till the end of the season to get some really good deals though.
    -matt

9. drewskee032

Could someone pls give me a list of good mowers on hills maybe? That'd be great!

Thanks!

10. MattsMowing3535

MattsMowing3535 LawnSite Senior Member

Have you looked into any hustler's? You could probly pick up a demo for around 5000 for a mini z 44" or 52" they handle hills like a charm i was demoing it on a 20-30 grade it was scary but it held well with the large tires.