What Type of Mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TBLC, Nov 30, 2004.

1. TBLC

TBLC LawnSite Member

I need a new mower. I'm looking of a 22 inch deck, or around that. What kind is a good one? TY for your help.

2. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

Depends on what you are going to use it for, and what you want it to do. Give more details.

3. TBLC

TBLC LawnSite Member

Well, It will be used a good bit. Most of my yards are on the small side, so i cant use a real big mower right now. Self drive or push, not a big deal either way. Mulching is a plus.

4. N.H.BOY

N.H.BOY LawnSite Bronze Member

I say start out on a toro self propell. Good running mower to start.Good luck buddy.

5. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

I think I would go with a Honda self propelled. They are tuff, dependable, and very affordable.

6. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I would look into a Cub Cadet 21" walk behind. They are not actually called commercial mowers but they are built very good. They have commercial grade Kawasaki 6.5 hp OHV engines. They are available with caster wheels, electric start, and just a standard 21". They have a 6 speed drive and will mulch, bag, and side discharge. The Toro walk behinds are also very good mowers. Have heard good things about both.

7. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

Id look into a used 32" or 36" commercial walk behind. A belt drive would be cheapest. You really don't realize how much one of those reduces operator fatigue until you use one of these. You can get a decent one for the same price as a brand new 21" thats well built. Most of time they will fit in any size back yard even with fences. :cool:

8. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

If it was me I would look at maybe a 32" mower or something there is a huge time savings between a 22 and 32. Deck is 50% wider.

9. N.H.BOY

N.H.BOY LawnSite Bronze Member

10. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Don't know for a fact if they are or not but I can't see any reason why they would stop making them because I would think they sell plenty because they sell through their independent dealers and Lowes and I see several of them around here.