1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

What type of mulch, again?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by RTallday, Jun 2, 2004.

1. RTallday

RTallday LawnSite Member

Just a quick mulch question here. I am bidding out a landscaping job for one of my customers and he had a termite problem. HAD is the key word here. I was wondering what kind of mulch might be better to use there that would'nt attract them again. Thanks!!

-Rich

2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Cypress or eucalyptus is less likely to attract termite. However termites don't usual like mulch of any kind. The import point is keep in below the wood framing of the building so any mud trails can be seen. Anytime wood construction touches ground you are asking for termites.

3. RTallday

RTallday LawnSite Member

Ric, thanks for the reply. I guess ill just go with good old cypress. The termites have been taken care of, but i just don't want to chance being at all responsible for another infestation.

-Rich

4. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Never had any type of insect problem with any type of mulch.

5. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

Neither have I..........

6. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Termites don't like mulch of any kind?
    Hmmm,I can throw a rock in one of my beds and I will guarantee termites under it at the end of the week.
    I'm going to stone because of it.

7. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Cedar Mulch repels terimites, correct? I remember i lived in a house that had a ceder closet and the walls leading up to the closet were toasted full of those dang things, but they stayed completely away from the closet. Plus I think Cedar Mulch looks a little better than Cypress Mulch. Just my personal thoughts.

8. polecat63

polecat63 LawnSite Silver Member

Not exactly repel, but close. Termites don't like aromatic woods like cedar and cypress. The also tend to oly infest hardwood if some nice soft pine is not around. Termites will live under mulch because it's wet and warm. Their two favorite things.

9. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

Mine too!:D :p :D :p

10. prizeprop

prizeprop LawnSite Senior Member

you could do everything right and the landscaper is always responsible. The painter cleaned his brushes on the lawn-- oh, that damned landscaper he fried our lawn with fert. kid next door broke window- oh, your crew was the only ones here and it wasnt broke before. you guys know what im trying to say, right?