What type of mulch to use?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Adam's Lawn and Garden, May 26, 2006.

1. Adam's Lawn and Garden

Adam's Lawn and Garden LawnSite Senior Member

Hey,

I'm 16 and got mulch from a supplier up the road from me who sells ALOT of mulch. He convinced me that his mulch doesn't get bugs or crap like termites attracted to it. So i got mulch delivered for my house and my neighbors house. With my luck, a garden center up the highway from here put a thing in the newspaper about ow it kills your plants due to nitrogen depletion, and how they caused the attraction of termites. So this pist me off a bit, mainly because this is where i like buying my mulch from there and it's pretty decent stuff. There is another place better than the place now i can get it from that's alwo dyed. Convenitly, the place that had the add, only sells double shredded hardwood bark stuff. What should i do? the double shredded, only keeps color for less than a month. What's safer for the gardens? Any alternitives?

Adam

2. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I was told that "green" mulch will deplete nitrogen. I don't know.

3. jbailey52

jbailey52 LawnSite Bronze Member

The dyed mulch used more nitrogen because its a hardwood and needs to break down a lot. If uses the nitrogen for this. Root mulch is the best alternative for this. But if they are mature plants and shrubs... no worries.

4. SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES LawnSite Senior Member

Move To The South And Get You Some Good Ole Pine Bark Mulch. Don't Have To Worry About Bugs And Termites, Last Longer Than Hardwood Mulch And I Think It Looks Better. But That Is Me B/c I Hate Colored Mulch Unless It Is Faux Mulch Aka (schreaded Tires)

5. jbailey52

jbailey52 LawnSite Bronze Member

well lets put it this way.. I dont want the mulch to last long.. I want to do a good job this season, have a happy customer, then in the spring... they need more mulch...