1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What type of Oil to use for my ZTR??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by hartmas, Feb 28, 2005.

1. hartmas

hartmas LawnSite Member

I have a Exmark 52 inch 23 hp Kohler ZTR and a 36 in Exmark 12.5 hp Kawaski. What brand name motor oil should I use? I have been using a Briggs and Stratton oil from Lowes SAE 30 is this ok????
  2. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

We use Amsoil and Amsoil filters for our equipment.
  3. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I'm going to switch to Amsoil this year. I feel the extra cost is well worth it.
  4. lawnchopper

lawnchopper LawnSite Member

like the previous posts I think that Amsoil would be the best and use there filters aswell the cost is worth it. I use it in all our stuff Kohlers, briggs, kaw's ect. Use there greases aswell they dont dry up and get flakey like the cheap stuff does :cool:
  5. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

I use Mobil One in everything.
  6. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Same here and Kawasaki filters.
  7. gl1200a

gl1200a LawnSite Senior Member

Mobil 1 is all I use.
  8. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

Mobil 1 goes in anything that has an engine except two cycle equipment. No matter what oil you use it isnt going to matter unless you change it when you should.
  9. Pumper

Pumper LawnSite Member

Exmark doesn't run a oil cooler in their Zero Turn's hydraulic system like some of the other guys. They choose to use synthetic motor oil instead. This is why they recommend Mobil 1. A drive system with synthetic oil runs 10-15 degrees cooler than conventional oil. I don't have a preference which synthetic you run but I would definitely warn against running a conventional mineral based oil like the one you said you were running.
  10. lazer 46

lazer 46 LawnSite Senior Member

I use Quaker State oil in all my 4 cycle engines. If it's good enough for Hendrick Motor Sports, it's good enough for me.