What type of pump for home show display?

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by mrusk, Feb 1, 2007.

1. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I have a couple home shows coming up. I am planning on building a sheer decent waterfall coming out of a raised bond beam for a pool.

I figured you guys would be the best to tell me what type of pump i need. Basically i am going to have a 2 ft high box with a 12in sheer decent coming out. I am going to use a little plastic tub as a catch basin. Basically i will need to pump the water up 5 feet back to the water fall. Here is a link of an example of a sheer decent http://jandy.com/html/products/waterfeatures/photogallery.php

What type/size pump will i need for the display?

Matt

2. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

How wide and thick do you want the weir to be?

3. mrusk

I don't care how thick the wire is. I will be able to hide it. The less electric the pump uses, the better. It will save me money.

4. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

you could probably do it with a 1000gph pump if you absolutely had to, I would jump to 1500 or 1800gph for the volume though. You can never have enough flow

5. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

How wide and thick do you want the weir to be. The weir is the sheet of water that spills over a waterfall. If you know how wide and how thick you want the weir to be, I can tell you how much flow will be required to produce a weir of that size.

6. mrusk

oh my bad. I am looking to use a 12in sheer decent. I really do not know how thick it will be.

I'd rather go with a bigger pump than i need, incase i want to do a larger display in the future.

What are some good brand pumps?

Matt

7. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

I started installed Tsurumi pumps this year. Haven't had any problems with them yet. Aquascapes bought them out this year after all their pump problems of years past. I think they were looking for something more dependable than theirs.

8. Bill Davis

Bill Davis LawnSite Senior Member

The big tsurumi's would be way to much I think. Maybe an Little Giant 2400 gallon an hour pump. They are quiet, fairly easy to hide, an only $175 Dollars or so. Hope it works for ya.

9. leaflandscape

leaflandscape LawnSite Member

Laguna makes some good little pumps that are easy to hide, since they're smallish, roundish, and black. We've done water features similar to the one you're talking about, and they don't require much of a pump to run, since you don't need a lot of volume to make an impression, probably only about 1200gph. You're hose diameter does a lot to govern how much flow you'll get, and if you want you can go to tsc and get an inline shutoff valve, we put these on every install we do with the exception of bubbling rocks.

10. wurkn with amish

wurkn with amish LawnSite Senior Member

try Oase pumps. They have a 5yr warranty and a contractors program.