1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What type of push mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by EasylyConfused, Apr 1, 2005.

1. EasylyConfused

EasylyConfused LawnSite Member

I have given 4 quotes to cut lawns with fences and narrow gates, approxamitly 30-35 inches wide. I am spending the day driving around looking for a new push mower. I don't really want self propelled because of the cost. We also have big steep ditches which a self propelled would not work well on. Weighs too much and doesn't quickly and easily change direction. I looked at John Deere but they no longer offer a Bagging, non-self propelled push mower! Is toro a mower I should look into? I really hate Tecumseh engines. They are ablsolutly miserable to start!!! You half to prime the the ones we own 30-40 times!!!

Do Crasftsmen mowers cut well? They have honda motors now. How do they mulch and bag.

I really have no idea who else to look at besides toro which is sold at Home Depot only here. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!
  2. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

I would look for a used commercial toro proline. preferably with a kawasaki engine. I would be carfull of the home owner honda's. there have been some bad reports about those engines. if you can get a GX series honda engine on a 21 your in good shape.
  3. craglawnmanor

craglawnmanor LawnSite Member

Check Snapper's website to see if you have a dealer nearby.
    They seem to have a durable mower at a reasonable price.
    I plan on purchasing a Snapper mulcher for my next 21" mower. The engines they offer include Briggs Quantum XRM, Briggs Intek OHV, and Kawasaki for the high end commercial mowers.
  4. EasylyConfused

EasylyConfused LawnSite Member

I was in Honda for a minute today and took a look at a mower. It was 499 on sale, and had 2 blades. One on top of the other. Has anyone seen anything like this? Does it work well?
  5. Jeff@SGLC.ca

Jeff@SGLC.ca LawnSite Senior Member

$499? Must be the homeowner model.
  6. billc

billc LawnSite Member

JimLewis posted how much he liked the double-blade Honda a week or so back.
  7. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

If you get a Tecumseh engine, use fuel stabilizer in it all the time. One of the drilled holes in the brass main nozzle tube is almost microscopic and once it plugs up with gunk it is difficult to find it to clear it. The fuel stabilizer will help keep it clear.
  8. Jeff@SGLC.ca

Jeff@SGLC.ca LawnSite Senior Member

I think Jim is talking about the commercial mower. Don't forget $499 Canadian is $411.00 US. If it really is the HRC 216 I'll take a bunch lol.
  9. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 LawnSite Senior Member

actually i've had a good experience with tecumseh.
    From what i've heard, eXmark has a good 21'' mower. Toro's good too. thats what we have.
  10. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

Does Toro still make a non self-propelled mower? Haven't seen one in years.