What type of retaining wall?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by ccas, Apr 26, 2007.

1. ccas

ccas LawnSite Member

I am getting ready to put in a retaining wall at my walk out basement. I have seen around my area that a lot of people are starting to use huge concrete blocks for retaining wall purposes. Do you know what I am talking about? Just big sqaure blocks. My questions is this... Are these cheaper than the smaller ones and do they work any better? What are they called?
  2. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

Sounds like redi-rock.

I don't know how they price out vs. a hand stackable srw, but you'll definately need a machine to set those in place.

I find them to look very industrial/commercial and hate the look at a residential home... IMHO
  3. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

they are diffucult to install without a excavator and the correct clamp. Sometime you can rent the clamp from the distrubutor. Having that tool makes the job much faster.
  4. ccas

ccas LawnSite Member

from what i have read... seems like around 15-200 per block! That is a lot of money. I only have a small area outside of my walk out basement. The wall needs to be about 5 feet tall and 25 feet long on both sides. I am having my entire lawn leveled and loamed (new house) and thought I could get the local lawn guy to do some hardscaping as well. Do you think I should go with a small retaining wall block instead?
  5. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

Just make sure he knows how to build a retaining wall correctly.

I would go with a smaller block for something that size. It will require geo-grid at 5' tall, so again, get someone that knows what they're doing.

Not knowing where the wall is, you might want to consider building the wall before loaming and seeding?

So the wall is 50'x5'? 250ft2? I don't know exactly where in NH you are, but you should expect to pay at least $6500, or much more depending on other variables such as block selection, site conditions, accessibility, etc.
  6. ccas

ccas LawnSite Member

I was also considering doing 2 levels 1 at 3 feet and the other at 2 feet. to get to the 5 feet. If I do that do i need a grid?
    Is that something I could do myself?
  7. ccas

ccas LawnSite Member

By the way I am in Antrim/Hillsborough area
  8. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

no, this is not something you should attempt,
    nor should you hire a typical lawnjockey to build it either...

bite the bullet and pay for a good company to do the job, or you will end up with a mess that you will eventually have to spend many times the money to fix later....

there is far more to building a well constructed retaining wall than you obviously think.
  9. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, you could avoid grid, but you would need to have a minimum of 6 feet between the two, which you may not have space for.

If you are going to pay someone to install this, you would probably be better off just building one wall with grid, versus two walls without. One with grid will be stronger, plus there will be half as many base blocks to be installed. Excavation would probably come out about a wash.

I agree with what's been said so far- hire someone who is competant and knowlegeable about walls. DO NOT build this wall/walls out of Windsor-type block (Lowe's/Home Depot/Menards specials- 4" tall x 12" long) they are not for a structural-type wall which is what you are describing.
  10. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

That concrete block you are refering to is most probably redi-rock. Typical blocks measure 46"x24'x18". They can have either a cobblestone or split limestone face. The full block weighs 1300 lbs. The cost for material is $13-$14 per square foot That works out to be about $75 per block and $60 per cap. Delievery is usually $15 per block and install price varies from $7-12 per sq. foot. And, yea, you need a machine with reach, a laser level,and a good ground man. I would not attempt this as your first project.