What type of rock to use??

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by Phishook, Mar 18, 2003.

1. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

What type and size of rock do you use on ponds arround 11x16' and 2' deep?

What about a stream and water fall?

Not sure if I've beem asking for the right things while calling arround.:confused: No one know what I'm talking about or where to find it.

2. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

Landscaping rock...yellow rock.

3. Phishook

What type of landscape rock? Granit, Wisconsin, field stone? Hopefully not limestone. What size? For what size pond? In what type of pond? Aquascape?

One more, What about the gravel?

Elaborate a little more.

4. IndyPropertyCare

IndyPropertyCare LawnSite Member

The washed river bed stone works good and looks nice too. Try the size about 4-6 Lbs each. Field stone works too but you might have to cut alot of it to get what you want. Are you building a pond from a mold or hand dig w/liner ?

Kip Indy Property Care

5. Alan

Alan Member

For the most part, quarry stone doesn't look right in a pond application. It's too sharp and angular to look natural. What you need is stone that the glaciers did a number on so it's all smooth and rounded. Up here in the rocky northeast that stuff is easy to come by, may not be where you are.

6. Phishook

liner type fron aquascape.

Thanks for the help Alan and Indy. Good rock is hard to find up here. Well, besides yellow field stone.

What about the tier stones for the falls? If I can not find flat stone to match the boulders, would a couple pieces of flagstone work? Or is that a big no no to mix types of stone?