What type of safety equipment do you use?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HighGrass, Oct 14, 2003.

?

What types of personal safety eqipment do you use?

1. Ear Muffs

33 vote(s)
    52.4%
  2. Foam Ear Plugs

25 vote(s)
    39.7%
  3. Safety Glasses/gogles

53 vote(s)
    84.1%
  4. Gloves

30 vote(s)
    47.6%
  5. Steel toe shoes or boots

32 vote(s)
    50.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

For personal protection during mowing and trimming, what types of safety equipment do guys prefer?

Don't forget to take the poll above !!!

2. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

Can't say enouph about safety items on the job. For instance- I had a helper last month that used my Tanaka hedger for the first time. I encouraged him to use some chaps'. He did and with in minutes sliced the area over his thigh. Had he not had them on he would have needed an emergency room visit.

When it's really hot I wear thin gloves on my equipment- nothing like stuff slipping out of your hands b/c of sweat.

Goggles? Never crank the blades on ANYTHING w/o 'em.

I use the rubber ear plugs w/ string attached from Home Depot. In the winter time I'll use muffs. In the summer time those things will breed germs by the billions in ones ears.

3. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Rubber ear plugs with string, RedWing steel toe boots, safety glasses, really comfortable ones. No need for gloves when one has callouses. I find they generally hamper me too much on the TTHP, get in my way. Wear jersey work gloves in cooler weather. When using vac bagger or mulching dry leaves I wear goggle type safety glasses (seals out dust) and a white breathing "mask" for nose and mouth. With these and the ear plugs and a hat you feel so much cleaner when bagging and you don't have to pick out your ears, nose and eyes every other pass when the wind is blowing everything in your face.

4. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

I do not wear earmuffs, for my name is not Warren.

5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

gloves, boots, eye protection...once in a blue moon ear protection

6. Lawncareguy

Lawncareguy LawnSite Member

Ear plugs, Safety glasses, boots, and calfskin gloves. The gloves are at Sam's Wholesale and more comfortable than any other pair I have ever worn.

7. TRex

TRex LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW ,TX

BHB you may also want to think about using painters hoods when doing those leaves. The hood is thin white stretchy cloth and you can have it cover you nose and mouth or pull it under your chin. They work great when spaying with an enclosed hose where all the paint particals float around. Just a tip I thought would help with all the other precautions your taking for the dust.

8. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

All of those except for ear muffs. Add in there for me sunblock (Bullfrog brand is best).

9. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

None of the above, not evan a gaurd on the trimmer. I wear sunglasses day or night, not sure if they are saftey though, i think not.