1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

what type of seed

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by NWARguy, Jan 24, 2004.

1. NWARguy

NWARguy LawnSite Member

I am in the process of renovating the lawn at my new house in NW arkansas. The lawn is about 1/2 fescue, and 1/2 bermuda grass. There is a good amount of clover too, which will have to go.

Anyhow, I'm going to be having the lawn aerated soon as I doubt it has ever been done to this lawn, and I just needed to see what you all would recomend for grass seed to put down after aeration?

Am I right that I shouldn't use a pre-emergent since I will be seeding?

I like fescue turf better than bermuda as I prefer it's looks and how it doesn't spread into flower beds as bad as bermuda, but I don't know if I would be more successful with trying to get bermuda or fescue to grow.

So, what would you all recomend? Bermuda or fescue, or is there a different grass/mixed type of grasses that I would have better results with.

Thanks for any input you all can provide
  2. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

Clover is do to lack of nitrogen . You can spray the clover out .
    Yes you cant over seed if you put pre m down. Pre m puts up a wall that wont let seed germinate.
    Fescue is a good hardy grass .
  3. NWARguy

NWARguy LawnSite Member

now i'm just wondering what i'd be out to purchase sod and lay it myself. I have all access to the equiptment to do the dirtwork, so depending on what fescue sod would cost me to purchase, I might be interested in that route just for quicker results.

Guess I'll have to do some checking locally and see what 2K square feet of fescue sod would run me.

Thanks for the time to reply
  4. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

Sod is worth every penny you pay for it . If you wont results now sod is the way to go. Is the area in the sun or shade? The reason i ask is i can only get blue grass up here and it will only thrive in the sun.
  5. NWARguy

NWARguy LawnSite Member

the yard here has very little shade, and is high exposure to the sun. Which in a way makes fescue seem like a lesser option to the bermuda. But, then again that's just going on the limited knowledge that I have.

Thanks again for the input
  6. Cutters Lawn Care

Cutters Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I have turf type tall fescue at my house. It does very well in sun and shade. 2k feet of fescue will be 4 pallets. I get it for 70 a pallet. you will probably pay a little more. It's worth the cost especially if you have everything to do it yourself.

DAZED AND CONFUSED LawnSite Member

fescue definately needs some shade so if the majority of your sod lay is in full sun you will hate it after 1 year