What type of stander?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by deadheadbill, Apr 25, 2008.

1. deadheadbill

deadheadbill LawnSite Member
    from Florida

I've always ran Exmark and Dixie, but am now looking to add a stander. I wondered if anybody had any comments about the Great Dane super surfer.

The only Wright dealer is 40 miles away, and my local dealer carries the Graveley stander. But I like the Great dane cause it is a floating deck.

I know Wright started the whole thing, and if they were head and shoulders above Great Dane I would bite the bullet and get a Wright.

Any ideas?

2. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

In the *opinions* of *most* here, the Wright stander *Is* head and shoulders above the GD Surfer.

The Gravely is a Great Dane but with a Gravely deck ; there may be other minor variances, but the chassis is the same, so the balance, handling and comfort will be the same also.

I *think* the floating decks are offered on the Gravely in the same sizes as the Great Dane named mowers offers them. I *think*

3. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

The Gravely unit is no different then the Dane. They don't have different decks.

Wright is the leader in the stand on units but i firmly believe the Gravely unit is just as good, and better in some areas. Wright has the advantage in some points, Gravely has the advantage in others. This can be debated all day. Many feared the Dane/Everride units because there was fear of them going out of business. That won't happen with Ariens in control now. Things will , and already are much better.

Try to demo a Gravely unit if you can. 40 miles is a long way to drive if you need something.

There are a million posts on this debate. All i can say is try them. 2 Gravelys went out the door yesterday to a company replacing Wrights. Demo'd the Gravely and said it was just as good and priced better. You may find the same. Good luck.

4. I'm in the same boat.

I demo'd the wright 52" Rapid Height the other day - dealer was $5999. My only complaints were its weight and its tires. It only weights 790 pounds and the tires are only 18". I didn't like its performance on steep slopes. But its cut was great, even with the fixed deck

I'm demoing another JD Quik Trak 657 next week. Main differences - the floating deck, the tires, the engine, and the the weight. THE JD weighs 1040 pounds for its 54" deck and the tires are 20".

There's pros and cons to both...

The Wright has a rubber chute, which makes trimming much easier... it also doesn't shoot out 15' like the plastic chutes, so less mess.

I'm anxious to see which one I like better...

5. F3Nelson

F3Nelson LawnSite Member

I guess I am gonna have to *demo* some floating decks because back when I first started 1991, with a JD walk behind floating deck, they SUCKED! The cut was crap, and it didnt stripe.

I have wondered how you keep from scalping on a stander, when if you were running a walk behind, all you have to do is push down on the handle bars.

And sometimes the floating deck would actually scalp, unless and untill you knew the yard.

discuss

6. Wider tires on a skinnier track - that's the only things that help it from scalping. Wright sells a ton of standers, so they clearly know how to do it all the while not making a floater...

7. bj351

bj351 LawnSite Member

my old 52" stander was the best cutting mower ive ever owned. 52" with 2000 hours and cut like a champ. my fixed deck 48" dane cuts about the same just doesnt hold hills quite like my stander did. also got a couple 61" surfers that cut great but are just so heavy its a constant fight when cutting with them. super great mowers none the less. its all really a personal preference but ill never mow with anything else than my great danes

8. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

I have a Quik Trak that I like. With that said I would of bought a Stander over a Deere but JD gave me some great financing options with a helluva interest rate.

IMO they are both head and shoulders over Dane.

9. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

I wasn't clear when I said that Gravely uses a Gravely deck; I should have stated "uses a Gravely deck on the 34 inch deck model."...which I think is true, but I could be wrong. And that model, the 34, is a fixed deck I believe.

10. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer LawnSite Silver Member

Here is my 34" Scorpion! Absolutely amazing machine, I would recommend one of these bad boys to anyone.

SCORPION! 010.jpg