What type of synthetic oil should I use?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by loborojo338, Mar 29, 2005.

1. loborojo338

loborojo338 LawnSite Member

We just got a Hustler Super Z with the Kohler 28 EFI . It is comming up on the first oil change and I want to go with a synthetic oil.Does anyone have any recomendations of brand and weight of oil for this engine?
  2. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

I would make sure you have properly broke in the engine before using synthetic oil. Usually the first oil change is only after 5 hrs on some mowers, you need to run it thru a couple of oil changes first. Check with your dealer. I use a synthetic blend in my mowers with good results. Make sure you use the right weight recommended for that engine.
  3. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Mobil1 is Top Notch Stuff.

4. Teiman

Teiman LawnSite Member

On another post you spoke of valve issues on
    early kawi HF.

Do you now how to tell if mine is
    one of thoes bad ones. It is OEM on a 99 stander 61
    It is a 23 hp HF680. only has 270 hrs. runs good but
    smokes on start up (rich i think) then runs clean
  5. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Because of break in and seating the rings you should not switch to any synthetic oil until you have out at least 100 hours on the mower in most cases.
  6. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Why not just follow the manuf. spes. I know my Exmarks use Mobile one synthetic 10w30, But honestly if you can your oil regularly then you won't have a problem with any name brand oil. Just keep the weight the same as specs.
  7. EC-Rider

EC-Rider LawnSite Member

It will save you a lot of money, and give you the same protection. :drinkup:

I use Castrol 10W30 semi-syntec blend on all my mowing equipment and 5W30 on my truck and autos and have logged umpteen miles on them without any major break downs or problems. :cool2:

Moreover, I also keep my air and fuel filters clean and of good quality.

Hope that helps!

ItÂ’s all good! Enjoy! Peace!

EC-Rider :waving:
  8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

While I don't use synthetic oils any longer, the break in before switching is an old wives tale now adays. Its not necessary to wait. Corvettes come with it from the factory. Many cars and makers use the stuff immediately. If I were going to be using synthetic, I would personally start immediately.
  9. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I run mine 10 hours, then switch to rotella 5-40, in my Kaw, Kohler, and Generac. I still change my oil/filter at 40-50 hours.
  10. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

Do some research on the internet. Some "fully" synthetics really aren't and some are. Mobil 1 is a good one. But the question is why are you wanting to run synthetic. Are you looking for less thermal breakdown over the life of the oil OR are you looking to extend your interval between changes?

If you want #1 go with any True Synthetic and you will be fine.
    If you want #2 IMO that is a fool's bet. Unlike the typical car, mowers deal with extreme dust conditions and changing the oil often to remove particulate contamination is much more important than thermal breakdown if you are trying to double your oil life. Much more important than synthetic is new oil and new oil filter at proper intervals. I run regular oil, Castrol, not that it matters that much. And instead of spending extra on the oil, I spend extra on filters and change them each time I change oil as opposed to the manufactures suggestion of filter every other oil change.

Just my opinion, but it is about the same price and much better protection vs particles.