1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What type of trailer? Cargo or open?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Gators_Aerator, May 23, 2005.

1. Gators_Aerator

Gators_Aerator LawnSite Member

The recent article in Turf magazine had an article about "Image is everything
    The picture of Pete's equipment show a cargo trailer. but across the page shows and open trailer in the ad.

What type of trailer do you use? Why type of signage do you use for it?

I think the cargo is a great option becuase of the space for your coporate logo. You can park it in the neighborhood or on a street and advertise away.

What do you think?
  2. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

i would like an enclosed but have an open. I like the open so that if i have to haul stuff like large branches or such, it might not fit in or would be hard to use the enclosed.
  3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

We have both...each type has its own purpose(s).
  4. pagefault

pagefault LawnSite Senior Member

I keep forgetting to take a picture of my setup. It's in storage on the other side of town, so once it's put away, it's put away. I can't just run outside and get a pic whenever I remember to... :cry:

At any rate, I've got a Big Tex 30LS trailer.

I thought about getting a bigger one, in case I need to haul larger equipment. So far, I'm glad I didn't. Everything fits on this one, with room to spare, it fits in a standard 10x15 storage unit and I can park on the street without blocking any driveways, no matter how small the lots are.

There is locking storage for two trimmers and an edger on the side and the locking storage in the front is large enough for 3 5-gallon gas cans, two blowers, an air tank, and I'm still adding more.

If I weren't concerned about storage, I'd get a 35LS or 70LR. They're two feet wider and 10, 12, 14, 16, 18 or 20 feet long.
  5. pagefault

pagefault LawnSite Senior Member

I will say that in my limited towing experience, the twin axel trailers I've pulled have bounced a lot less than the single axle trailers. I really noticed it with this trailer. If I tie the 36" mower down it is not nearly as bad, though.

I guess my point is that *IF* you can get the salesperson to let you load up a trailer and test drive it, do it.
  6. mmacsek

mmacsek LawnSite Senior Member

I have both. A 8x18 enclosed and a 6.5x14 open. Matt
  7. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I have had both. Both have good point and both have bad.
  8. evan price

evan price LawnSite Member

6.5x18 tandem open top with 4' 3/4 plywood sides on stakes so they can be pulled to load stuff over the side. Great for putting branches and felled trees on or loading bulk mulch on. I can get both Scags and a couple trim mowers on it, as well as blower, edger & trimmers. I built a plywood lockable box over the tongue which has space for 2- 5-gallon plastic Blitz gas cans & covers a cheap-o Harbor Freight electric winch to haul dead eqpt onto the trailer (Haven't used it but once knock wood!). I painted the sides green with latex paint and stencilled my name and number on it with white spray paint. Bought it at Hill Eqpt. in Ohio, they built it the way I wanted with full wood floor & 6 lug wheels and a dovetail/full drop ramp. I screwed 3/8" eye bolts into the floor every 4 feet or so along the sides to hook ratchet straps to.
  9. beautifullawns

beautifullawns LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 7x14" Enclosed trailer and a 6x10 open trailer. I wish I would have gotten both bigger. The enclosed is great because you don't have to worry about storage. On certian days the open is better because it can double when you put mulch and other stuff on it.
  10. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I've owned both and I prefer enclosed.