1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What type of trailer is best???

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by extremerc76, Jun 11, 2007.

What type of trailer do is better for landscaping

1. Enclosed

30 vote(s)
  2. Open

18 vote(s)
  1. extremerc76

extremerc76 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

looking at upgrading to a new trailer, and have been thinking about both the good and the bad that comes with open and enclosed trailers. enclosed good = security, keep stuff dry, storage. enclosed bad = price, can't use for clean-up jobs. open good = use for leaf lean-up, firewood removal, price, and mowing. open bad = security, keep stuff dry.

what do you think i should get, looking more at open just because of price and it would allow me to make less trips to dump site.

thinking of single axel 12' maybe 14' holmes landscape trailer with extended sides
  2. boxsky

boxsky LawnSite Member

I like enclosed. More secure, weather proof, rolling billboard to name a few.
  3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

enclosed and open have their respective places...that is why we have both.
  4. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

Both are good, but if you can afford an enclosed I would get it. Looks a little better (no offense to anyone, I have an open trailer), you can leave your stuff loaded, and don't have to worry about things being stolen. Plus if it rains, you have a place to get out of the weather.
  5. BQLC

BQLC LawnSite Senior Member

I can see the benefits to both
  6. Fairway Land & Lawn

Fairway Land & Lawn LawnSite Member

We also have both. An enclosed is a little heavier, but does look nicer when pulling up to a maintenance property. However, you cannot load mulch into an enclosed. I find that we use the open trailer much more than the enclosed. On rainy days it is usually the enclosed ( not too happy about wet mower seats ).
  7. Bigray

Bigray LawnSite Member

i also have both !
    i prefer a dual axle trl. though to any length over 12'
  8. unit28

unit28 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 16 foot with 4 foot sides.
    It's expanded metal with wood floor.

It's semi secure. Kinda hard to grab the big walk behinds and
    lift them over.....LOL

I can put a lock on the ramp and cage so it's just as secure as an enclosed.

Well, unless I have plants on it but those never sit any length of time anyway.

Then there's the weather issue........:laugh: The salt in the winter is killing the beast.

I wish I had a 16' aluminum with 4 foot sides and a removable top.
  9. boxsky

boxsky LawnSite Member

I saw a neat open trailer with a tarp roof. Nice because it keeps the sun and rain off the equipment.

Another reason for enclosed ever sit on a black seat that is baking in the sun. Can you say ouch.:cry:
  10. Supper Grassy

Supper Grassy LawnSite Bronze Member

I have seen the 50/50 trailers On-line its enclosed in the front, and open in the back,
    Open give you more versitility to do other things
    enclosed are safer on equipment