what type of trailer to use?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by turfsup, Feb 15, 2002.

1. turfsup

turfsup LawnSite Member

Just getting started in the biz and I'm not quite sure whether I should by an open landscaping trailer or spend the extra $ and get a covered one. It rains a lot where I live and I would think that the equipment getting exposed to rain not to mention sun and heat would be a bad thing. Your thoughts please.

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Get what you can afford and biggest you can use. You will outgrow most trailers pretty fast. Just remember, what you buy also has a direct relation on what type truck you must have.

3. trophytkr

trophytkr LawnSite Member

Like you I'm just starting out this year. I bought an open trailer with twin ramps on it. Right now it's sitting on my patio behind the house full of snow but come cutting season I plan to leave the equipment on it and put it in the garage each night. I went with the 12 footer because my thinking is if I expand and need more room that I would want 2 trailers so I could have 2 crews going in different directions rather than one big trailer that can handle more equipment.:blob3:

4. Messenger Gardens

Messenger Gardens LawnSite Member

Our mowing crews all use 18' tandem axle trailer pulled with 3/4 ton 4x4. Each crew takes a 61" ztr, either a 52" or 60" wb and a 36" wb or trime mower. Each trailer is equipped with a trimmer and blower rack.

5. PrimeGreen Lawn

PrimeGreen Lawn LawnSite Member

I have 2 crews now. Each has a 2000, and 2001 F350 Diesels pulling a 20' and 24' enclosed US Cargo trailers

6. Indiana

Indiana LawnSite Member

I started with a real small trailer (4x8) w/ramp. Made it myself and I still have it. Mounted a 100 gallon sprayer on it. This trailer pulls good and looks good, but it was way too small.

If I had to do it over, I would buy or build a 6x10 or 6x12 open trailer with 2' sides and a ramp. Put the racks on right away for your trimmer, edger, blower, and water cooler.

Right now I still have the 4x8 w/ the sprayer on it, 6.5'x16 dual axle with 4' sides and a curbside gate and rear ramps. This trailers is heavy though. It is a 6000 lb capacity w brakes. I pull it w/ 2000 GMC 3/4 4x4.

My advice would be buy a 6x10 or 6x12 open trailer... You will not be able to everything on it in a few years but it will give you a good size to keep for small jobs and mulch.

7. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

tell us what u are using to pull it with, and what equip u have now or plan on getting, always get a little bigger then what u need now just incase one time u have something extra to put on and also allows u to grow a tiny bit without getting a new trailer. depending on wether u have a garage/shop or not would help determine if u need a enclosed, generally enclosed is usually better because of the capability of advertising on it and the better security. opens have there pluses also, the ability to haul material easier to manuver equip etc etc

8. LawnLad

LawnLad LawnSite Senior Member

We use open trailers because we park them in the garage. We have one 17' dual axle, and two 14' single axel. One of the 14' single axle's we beefed up and it carry's the dingo and a couple of implements. The other two are for the maintenance crews.

However, we're thinking about enclosed trailers to park them out of doors. Just worried about theft. The thread about locking trailers was helpful.

Open trailers are less expensive, easy to repair and maintain. Drawbacks as I see it... security while working (easy access to trimmers, blowers, etc) and the open trailer looks a little more sloppy/unkept than a closed in trailer, in my opinion. You can see all the equipment. Even if it's well maintained, clean and neat on the trailer, it looks sloppy to me.

9. John L

John L LawnSite Member

I am too starting a new Lawn Maintenance company. I will use enclosed trailers. It will keep the equipment enclosed, dry and clean. Also it's a traveling billboard, both to and from jobs as well as on the job site.

John

10. PRECISION LC

PRECISION LC LawnSite Member

For the past couple of years i ave been growing slowly, i had a 5x8 open trailer with a gate. last year i added trimmer racks, blower holders, ect.
    I finally bought another mower and have ordered a 6.5' x 18' with 4' expanded metal walls and racks and holders for all and It will have breakes.