what type of trimmer line do u use?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jarred's Lawn Care, Dec 11, 2003.

1. Jarred's Lawn Care

Jarred's Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I use two different types of trimmer line one for commerical and one for residential. I use the Husqurara .105 line for open commeriacl accounts and i'm really looking for a good residential line that won't tear up plants and so on. i now use sthil .095 but thinking of use a brand called Xtreme for next year let me know what u think:dizzy:

Jayrod31@aol.com

2. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

Desert Extrusion brand myself but why use 2 different types though mate! Thinner stuff will ring bark a smaller plant as much as the thick stuff. I'd use the thickest stuff you can put on you trimmer! Square or round, I dont think this matters to much but others will disagree.

Get a hold of smaller rolls and try them for yourself. Or, ring the manufacturers and ask for a sample. Worth a try! Whats a phone call worth? I've done it. There stuff sucked, but now I know.... For free!

My 2 cents anyway!

3. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

Gator line. It is a double line, meaning a solid core surrounded by a flexible sheath.
    Extremely wear resistant, cuts well, feeds well, doesn't jam. Additionally, due to the design/materials, a one pound pack more than equals a three pound spool of normal nylon line.

4. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

SWD........ I once tried a line that had, I think it had a "Keblar" (forgive the spelling) core down the middle. Could it be something like that? I was given some to try but it didnt go much better than the "normal" stuff when doing edges. (driveways/path) It was really expensive to buy too! Just wasn't worth it IMO!

5. TRex

TRex LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW ,TX

I have a 1300' spool of .095 from wal-mart that I am trying to get used up. It was only $14. It last longer than the echo crossfire line I was using. I love square gator line, but I use it to edge vine ground cover and it goes a long way. I think the best way to keep from tearing through plants is to use lo rpm's and be carefull.

6. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree on the Wal-mart shakespear trimmer line. I use .80 purple line and one $14 roll lasts all season. I have 52 -1/4 acre and larger customers. I use shindiawa t230s and the smaller line size keeps the rpms up to keep from shredding vs cutting in my experience. I have tried many other brands and first used this stuff by accident and have used it for the past 7 yrs now.

7. Schlepie

Schlepie LawnSite Member

I also use the Walmart line. .095 works great. Used the Stihl line, but can release more line with the Walmart one with out trimmer bog down compared to the stihl line.

Schlep

8. pcnservices

pcnservices LawnSite Senior Member

That's my line!! I use the cheapest line I can lay my hands on and I use the same product as Trex. (the orange line)

I think the thinner the line the cleaner the cut.

PC

9. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

I used to use WalMart brand, until I found Gator Square. Last much longer, thus cheaper in the end, with less time respooling.

10. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

For heavy-duty trimming (high grass or large areas) I would only run "shaped line". I find the round lines do not last as long as the "shaped lines" in any application. I run Stihl .095 Square line.

Jimbo