1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What type of trimmer should one buy?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by harperservices, Feb 27, 2002.

1. harperservices

harperservices LawnSite Member

I am buying a couple of trimmers ASAP.
    The John Deere XT140SB or the Echo PAS 260 series.

What do you use for $400 bucks?
  2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I run only Stihl FS85's. Been using them for a long time with many hours on them. Great power. I get them for about $275 each.
  3. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Shindaiwa T260, fast and had little vibrations.
  4. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

They are lighter, less expensive and chsnging the trimmer head is a breeze!

5. AGG Lawn Maintenance

AGG Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member
    from Elberon

I've been a big Red Max fan for years. They are light and are work horses day in and out. Plus we have about 5 or 6 dealers in my area so parts are not a problem. This year was the first year I brought an Echo trimmer. I'm not to sure of the model #. You can dethach the shaft about half way up and put on hedge trimmers,edger etc.
    I think this is going to be my new best friend. I also brought the hedge trimmer attachment and love it. I don't have to get on ladders too much any more. The attachment in itself has paid for the whole trimmer. :D
  6. nathanlee79

nathanlee79 LawnSite Member

Can't go wrong with the Shindaiwa T-270. I've ran two of them for a couple of years. Lots of power. I use the Stihl heads though, they are easier to change line out. Red-Max is also a nice trimmer. These can be pricy, but well worth it. Its to bad we have to pay retail for this kind of stuff.
  7. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I use Echo equipment. Have one lightweight trimmer just for grass trimming, and a heavier/stronger SB (split-boom) model with some attachments for grass trimming, hedge trimming, brush cutting, etc.

I have found that having the lightest-weight model just for grass trimming, with one or more heavier duty models for all the other stuff works well. Plus, the heavy ones are backup if something happens to the lightweight.

I used the Shindaiwa models for years, and liked them. We switched to Echo to keep our small equipment similar, because we use and like Echo backpack blowers.
  8. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

I currently run Tanaka hand held products exclusively.
  9. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

at your age u can probably handle whatever.but if back or joints are a problem,id sure check an see how comfortable it feels.
    most trimmers, especially commercial, if maintained properly will last an perform well , if used for what they were designed for.
    dont try to cut bamboo w a lite trimmer. likewise no need for a heavy brush cutter type for house trimming.later now
  10. CS Lawns

CS Lawns LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

I use the Red Max model # BC225 love it! Light weight & starts everytime! Cost $329.00 ea

Went thru 2 JD units, 1 was like the Echo able to add edger, trimmer etc. lasted 2 months, the other was a straight shaft it lasted 4 months. Loud grinding noise came screaming out of them when you took your finger off the trigger. Was told by JD dealer the gears, bearing blew. Personaly I think they are junk.

Thats why I wont try out the Echo unit that has add ons, was told they do not work well. Just to pricy for me to try.