What type of walk behind edger do you run?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Gilla Gorilla, Aug 28, 2004.

1. Gilla Gorilla

Gilla Gorilla LawnSite Senior Member

Im thinking of getting a new walkbehind edger this week for the first time cuts were the grass is very overgrown on the sidewalkds and curbs. It just takes to long to do it with a flat shovel or even the stick edger especially when you have to go behind once you have done that labor and pick up the crap and either put it in the trailer or bags and dispose of it.

So what brands are the rest of you guys using in the field.
    I found the Little Wonder on ebay for buy it now at $378.00 plus about $33.00 in shipping. If you have this kind and model 6002 how do you like it? And what did you pay for it?

Thanks in advance for any info.

2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I have a craftsman that is about 10 years old, cuts through everything and cost about $225. They are very simple machines and I would quess that the engine is what you mainly pay for. Mine has a briggs 3.5 hp. I change oil 1 time a year and keep it full of gas and it cranks on the 2nd or 3rd pull each time

3. Green Care

Green Care LawnSite Senior Member

I got a power trim or trim rite with 4hp honda she bites what ever is there.I got off e@bay 125.00

4. I have old e35 john deere Walkbehind's ,dont get used anymore ..With the power of the fc110 sthil stick edger i dont need a walkbehind any more

5. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a craftsman too. Works really good. I just don't like how it goes through blades fast, even when you aren't hitting the sidewalk.

6. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I just tough it out with my Shindy stick edger. I had the same idea as you, but couldn't justify a purchase for something I'd rarely use. No matter what you use, you still have to clean the crap up. The stick edger has the power, it just beats the crap out of your arm.

7. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Forgot to add, you could always rent a w/b edger. A lot cheaper. Just pass the cost on to the customer.

8. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I am with Odin, we started out with a John Deere E35 and have since replaced it with a FC85 & FC110. I don't think John Deere makes that edger anymore, it was pretty good for a walk-behind.

9. Lawnchoice

Lawnchoice LawnSite Senior Member

Turfco Edge R Rite ---

Super clean deep and defined edging. Have been using the same edger for over 12 years.

Lawnchoice

10. op4_camper

op4_camper LawnSite Member

I use and love the mantis. I use it for edgeing and if I have to do a fast flower bed that was left go.