what type of walk behind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by littlepopelp, May 12, 2003.

1. littlepopelp

littlepopelp LawnSite Member

Right now i mow mostly 1/2 acre to 1 acre residental with a few business with the most of 2-3 acres. Iam using 2 48in bobcats gear drives. I had a 52" gateway gratedane, hydro with a 22hp kohler, and i hated it, cut bad, wasnt fast and i didnt like their hyrdro setup, so for all you out there who have had different brands, hydro and gear, What should i get (it will be 48in) i really like a god cut, that stripes sorta well and is effiecent. Rule out Great Dane, dont like them. I had in mind, bobcat, toro, exmark, ferris, gravely.

thanks ryan
  2. CO.d 502nd

CO.d 502nd Banned

all of the ones on your list are good choices and id also add scag to that list .They tough built like a tank here is some results from a 36 inch hydro scag

3. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Like every post about this topic, you leave off the best machine for smaller areas..... Hustler WB. Start reading more and you'll see guy's "finally" trying the Hustler are agreeing it's the best out there. Either you're not doing your homework, or you're listening to guy's that have never used a Hustler.
  4. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

I personally like Gravely products but just demo all of the ones that you are interested in. I would also do some homework to see what dealer will give you the best support after the sale.

5. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

All those you list plus Scag and Hustler are good choices......ONLY if you have decent dealer support. Without that you have a junk machine, never being able to get parts or help when broken down.
  6. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Pete, I've never noticed you mention Hustler being good for smaller areas before. Having tried one before and regularly using a Scag, both about the same deck size and with similar sulkies, if anything the Hustler is better for larger areas. It's alittle larger than my Scag lengthwise and for me the controls are, while not necessarily ineffecient, just more difficult in tight areas. But the Hustler seems like it would be good on larger areas being that you can speed up (and fast too) with the flick of a wrist without moving your hand to another lever. You can easily change speed without using a seperate lever or squeezing two at once, maybe getting your tracking off. I don't want to go real deep into this but I just never noticed you mention it being good in tight areas. To me it just seems the other way around, I felt much more maneuverable on my Scag than the Hustler. Like I said maybe I just wasn't used to the controls but if like you say you can learn them very quickly then it wasn't the machine for me. I did like it, but on a tight area I feel more maneuverable with my Scag.

from AL

BHB if you prefer the pistols for tight maneuvers you'd probably love ECS.

ECS is hard to beat in tightly landscaped areas. Precision control-less fatigue.
  8. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Try It.

9. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Don'y buy a walk beheind............ But a Tank ztr from Cub......... I love them !!!!;)
  10. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I've never tried ECS but I want to. Before Pete land-blasts me, remember I said I may not have had enough practice with it to be good in tight areas!!!!
    John the next mower I'm getting I'll give you a hint it doesn't have ECS! Look back here tomorrow night for pics (hopefully).