What type of weed is this and what can i do for it with a newly seeded lawn?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by kingstinky, Sep 29, 2006.

1. kingstinky

kingstinky LawnSite Member
    from KS

about a month ago i completely redid my lawn and seeded it with a rebel tall fescue blend. it has grown quickly and greatly. it is a little thin and patchy which i'm sure is some of the reasons the weeds have come in. i'll have to overseed it to thicken it up. I'm not sure where the weeds have come from, i'm guessing they must have been in the straw i put down over the seeds. those bails have sitting outside for over a year so i thought they'd be okay.

anyway, here's a couple pictures of what they look like. they are really thick in a couple spots and just here and there throughout the whole lawn. it isn't a creeping weed. they are individually tap-rooted with about 2-5 leaves per weed. What is it, someone said mallow? and what do you suggest to do on such a new lawn, both for the weeds and to thicken it up?

2. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

No pics..........................................................
  3. kingstinky

from KS

4. TAZ

TAZ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Pics are not working. Try attaching them to your post one at a time using the manage attachments button.

5. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

I see the picts, have the same weed in my backyard. But I have dogs and kids so no pesticides or herbicides, at least its green.
  6. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

7. kingstinky

from KS

as i said earlier it isn't a creeper or a runner. it has no above ground runners or anything. they are all individually rooted weeds. i think i've come to the conclusion that it is henbit.
  8. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

would be unussual to see henbit this time of season? (henbit will have a square stem)

i'd agree with common mallow

any three way hebicide once new turf has been mowed 2-3 times will do the trick
  9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Not Speedwell, (which by the way isn't ground ivy, but is very similar and often confused for it) :). Definitely not henbit.nNot smooth enough to be Mallow (leaf edges), but there may be different varieties of mallow that would be a bit different. I think I would lean that way.
    Atleast the GOOD news is that it isn't ground ivy.:) Another thing with ground ivy is that the leaves tend to have more surrations on the edges, as opposed to the 4 or 5 per side that this has. I would certainly lean toward mallow.
  10. kingstinky

from KS

thank you for all the replies - so would just using Scott's Turfbuilder with Plus 2 Weed Control zap them? or is there a different product i should use?

and i will wait until i've mowed probably at least 4 or 5 times before using it.

I also have a question about scott's weed control - is plus 2 pre-emergant or post-emergant. what should i use as pre-emergant - and what should i use as post-emergant to control the weeds?