1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

what type of weed kill are you using?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by pacifichedge, Dec 30, 2012.

Tags:
  1. pacifichedge

pacifichedge LawnSite Member

is there a type of weed kill you are using to kill those nasty weeds and crap grass, what is it ( name/brand ) or do you make it yourself ( how do you make it) ? :canadaflag:

2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

My best advice to the Prohibition Zones would be... First focus on growing grass, then deal with weed issues once you've accomplished a mature stand of turf...

Before herbicides became such an issue, people had deep strong roots with a few tenacious weeds like dandelions, and really no issues with CG, ever... CG was popping up along the snowplow damaged and 'salted' areas that never recovered, but no one I remember ever had CG any more than they had sandburs...

I know there are people out there that will mock this notion,,, but there is a need to think seriously about building a mature stand of turf,,, or do the Black Market 'cides Thing, as your post suggests... :)

3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Iron and related commercial iron chelate herbicides work fair on dandelions. And hand pulling of weeds works if you don't mind the back-breaking labor. However, you might want to try a denser type of grass. Sod, if possible, if not...then repeated overseed following aeration. You need an athletic type of Kentucky bluegrass. A dense, highly rhizomatous cultivar would be more weed resistant.
    A dense cultivar like Langara would be a good choice.
    http://pickseed.com/WCanada/proTurf/varieties/docs/langara_ts.pdf

4. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Trouble is, most customers don't want to pony up to maintain their lawns to the level they should.
    It would cost them a bunch.
    Most say 'just get the weeds out thats all I care'. No matter if you try explaining proper turf mgmt to them or not.

5. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

It is easy for us to do,,, we can use 2,4d, glyphosate, and various other herbicides...

We're talking about,,, How does Canada get a nice lawn when all these things are banned???

That's the issue... :)