what type of zero turn mower for me?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by lzrj, Mar 5, 2006.

1. lzrj

lzrj LawnSite Member

I have been going over these forums for a few weeks to help me try to pick out a mower. I'm building a new home and have 3.6 acres that is all open with slight grades. I have two months until it's complete and the grass starts growing.
    I first started out with a $3,000 buget and was looking at a cub cadet. After more looking and reviewing, it seems I need to upgrade quit a bit to get a QUALITY mower. Now I'm looking to buy in the $5,000 to $6000 range with tax(NO HIGHER!!!!).
    Right now my main choose is the 06 Ferris IS 1500. I've been quoted a cash price of $5700 ($6000 even w/tax) for a 48" 21hp kawa. Have not test drove any mowers yet, only done the specs comparison. Need to know if this is the best mower for this price range or if there anything else out there that may work for me better for the price. I also looked at Simplicity Citation. Same as Ferris but has 21hp Vanguard, stripe rollers and headlights but no two stage air cleaner.
    If anyone can give me some information it would help a lot.

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

3. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Never run a dixie chopper they put high horse power moters on the units,local dealer here has citation doesn't look bad but for a few more bucks you can but a scag.

4. Green King

Green King LawnSite Senior Member

If you are in springfield you need to look around at some of the other makes especially if you want service after the sale! Give the Encore dealer a call He also sells Dixie Chopper, Country Clipper and Everide. The service alone makes the diffrence not just the brands. I have dealt with the ferris guys please do yourself a favor and run! The ferris product is good for the most part but when you are broke down it hurts to own one. Now for home use you might get a long ok with his service but a cutter cannot be down for a long amount of time with no loaner etc. I am bablling and I am sorry I am just trying to save you some frustration!

5. lzrj

lzrj LawnSite Member

Thanks for the additional makes to consider. Ill check into them as well. All but one dealer has not really seemed to be interested with helping me too much when they know I'm there for homeownership and not commerical business. That one dealer that seemed to be interested and stood around answering all my questions was the dealer that sold ferris. They also sold some other brands but did not really point me to any of those. I'm 6'2 230lbs and would also like a mower that dosent look tiny when Im on it.

6. Green King

Green King LawnSite Senior Member

I have been to all of them in town and the Encore is what I am buying good tough machine good warranty and service and knowledgeable dealer who will take care of you.

7. Dixie Rob

Dixie Rob LawnSite Member

Mine's a Silver Eagle which is light commercial/residential and has a 20HP Kohler. That is not what I would call high horse power especially when the Ferris he was lookin at is 21HP. Don't knock something that you don't know about. Thanks.

8. WREBELMACHINE

WREBELMACHINE LawnSite Bronze Member

Green King is right you need to go west and talk to the Encore dealer he will treat you right! I have dealt with him for over 15yrs. and he is the most honest guy around who does not bad mouth competition which is a plus! Also he is very knowledgeable on virtually every make.

9. TURF DOCTOR

Not sure what you mean as in saying don't knock it,if any thing it was saying dixie chopper was okay as for high horse power i looked at a walkbehind with like a 50 inch cut and a 27 horse moter geez man we have 17 horses on our scags with 48 inch cuts.

10. TURF DOCTOR

Oh yea and 1 more they have a rocket moter and a twin moter deal on there ztr's i don't know of any 1 that can top that.