What type/size of mower for just starting out

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by twade3056, Aug 19, 2007.

1. twade3056

twade3056 LawnSite Member

If someone is just starting out what do you all recommend? Should one buy a Toro or an Exmark for your basic first mower? These two seem to be the best. This would be more than likely a commercial push so it can take the beatings. I know it comes down personal preference, that always goes without saying.

Another question: Does Toro own Exmark?

2. SSS 18734

SSS 18734 LawnSite Member

Why not a walkbehind? Its worth the extra money, for sure.

Yeah toro owns exmark.

3. twade3056

Won't a walkbehind give me trouble going through most gates? What walkbehind do you like?

Even though Toro owns Exmark, wouldn't be like Toro is the Chevy and Exmark is the Cadilac?

4. MattsMowing3535

MattsMowing3535 LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah I guess you could say that toro is the chevy and exmark is the cadilac. Exmarks are awsome and if you got a 32 or 36 inch walkbehind im sure you could get threw most gates. Take a look at the quick 36 there having a sale right now and i have heard nothing but good things about them. If not look into a 32" exmark.

5. twade3056

What brand is the quick 36? Exmark has two small comeercial push mowers, which one do you reccommend?

6. grassmedics

grassmedics LawnSite Member

if your starting a business go with a 36inch walk behind, get it used. they will go through fences, even chain links, unless the fence is super old.

7. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

How much money do you have available for a mower?

8. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

quick 36.

not too expensive, In fact there on sale right now,

they will fit through most gates

9. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Well when you compare the new Toros with the Exmarks now I would say that by far my Toro is a Cadilac and the comparable Exmark was the chevy. Both Toro and Exmark are both great machines and both make 36" mowers...you cannot go wrong with either machine. I would think starting out with a 21 is pretty restrictive and that you should be able to cut 90% of what you can cut with a 21" with a larger 36" machine. If you end up needing a 21" for one or two lawns you can always get a 21" later, but the moment you get a larger lawn you will regret not buying a larger mower.

10. MattsMowing3535

MattsMowing3535 LawnSite Senior Member

Quick 36 is made by better outdoor products google quick 36 and you will find it. Everyone loves there and I think you can get them for around 2000 new right now. So yeah, I would look into them!!