1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What types of oil and weight do you use and why?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by dcwservices, Jan 17, 2008.

1. dcwservices

dcwservices LawnSite Member

Iam looking for some advice as to what type of oils and weights and fluids to use on my equipment. Also if anyone has any types of additives or anything like that that would help out. Please, give me some helpful info here, it would be greatly appreciated! Iam looking for a name brand and weight for each individual piece of equipment.

21" Snapper with a 5.5 Honda
    36" home owner Hustler with a Kohler
    2 Red Max trimmers
    Stihl Backpack
    Red Max 8001 backpack
    Homelite Hedge Trimmer
    Stihl Expandable Pole saw
    Hydraulic pump for dump trailer
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I use 10w-30 Synthetic (at least synth.blend) in everything.
    Any brand, price is the leading decision factor.

Here's why:
    - Less seizure / low oil / black oil related problems.
    > Great protection on inclines, redline rpm's, and off-season / outside of maintenance period use.
    - One grade of oil, no more guessing what goes where.
    - It is a superior oil to begin with.
    - The cost outweighs the benefits, engines run better, longer.

10w-30 just happens to be the best compromise, the cars would run 5w-30 and one or the other engine will run 10w-40 easy but either is too thick for some the other too thin for others, 10w-30 is my 1-size-fits-all grade of choice.

> I don't recommend switching brands between changes.
  3. tomo

tomo LawnSite Senior Member

kohler 25hp 10--40 eng oil semi synthetic

why 10 w ?? u ask
    kohler has a very small oil pump although 15 w in a standard engine is ok
    i run a remote filter and a very very large oil cooler and long lines [need a thin oil on start up ]
    my day time temp 65-110f over 95 for 3mths

older engine
    high day temps

semisynthetic due to cost
    50hr oil change
    because mowers operate in a dusty enviroment is the reason for service interval of 50 hr

MOST PEOPLE DO NOT under stand this but mower engines have very small sumps eg 2 quarts This effectively recirculates the oil many mant times . Without the additional capacity ******the oil is tortured ***********

Change oil at 50 hrs with semi synthetic problem solved

There is one MORE
    MOST 99% of people do not know and most do not care , but when it effects there $$$$ different story ,read on .

semi syn and full synthetic although they deal with spikes in temp ok they still break down but just slower than a mineral

Best practice is to change oil early eg another reason for 50 hr changes

Air cooled engines run 240--260 f sump temps [hot climate 52 and larger decks ,med to high loads etc]

CONCLUSION -- a oil that is broken down cannot protect the engine from wear properly .
    Reduce the temp and oil lasts with better protection and causes your engine to last longer saving dollars $$$$

PS an oil that is 10/30 and is advertised as a fuel economy enhancing type can be compromised in regards to the maximum protection for the engine .

4. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I use Shell Rottella 15w/40 in everything, it is a good heavy duty oil. I change oil and filters @ 50 hours and I have lots of hours and no failures.

I dont care for oil additives but I do like Seafoam in my gas and especially 2 cycle mix, it is a water dispersement and also helps to keep down carbon deposits, and also it works as a fuel stabilizer also

5. Happy Frog

Happy Frog LawnSite Bronze Member

Formula 4-StrokeĀ® 10W-30/SAE 30 Synthetic Small Engine Oil (ASE)
    because it's one of the best all around oil I found.
    I use it in all my small engines (4 strokes)

For the pre-mix, I use Amsoil SaberĀ™ Professional Synthetic 100:1 Pre-Mix 2-Cycle Oil (ATP) and Echo Power Blend.
    Same reason for using it.
  6. Ridin' Around

Ridin' Around LawnSite Senior Member

This is the oil that I run exclusively in My Lawn Equipment, winter and summer. No exceptions Amsoil provides superior protection and no comprimises. Sure it's a little more than the wally world super brand that many of you love, But my stuff is gonna last. My Z is starting its 9th mowing season. My 318 is going on 17 years of use. When some of you guys get machines with some (real hours and years of service) on them then we can dispute oils!
  7. dcwservices

dcwservices LawnSite Member

keep em coming
  8. AmsoilPower

AmsoilPower LawnSite Senior Member

Exactly what Happy Frog said---Amsoil ASE 4-stroke oil. This is the best all-around small engine oil. One oil for all your mowers-----a no brainer. This oil can even be used in transmissions/hydros that require 10W-30. Engines run cooler w/ synthetics = longer lasting engines. You will not get the extended drain intervals with a small engine oil regardless of brand. What you will get is a high quality oil that will not break down in the heat of summer.

Go with Amsoil 2-cycle oil as well. Check all the posts about what is said about Amsoil products, you will not be disappointed. Yes, I am a dealer and I can answer any ?????'s you may have.
  9. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry to hijack but HEY AmsoilPower, I emailed your company over a month ago and have heard nothing back. bnblawns@gmail.com I would like to buy from you since you are on here and sponsoring this site but I cannot if I don't have the required info.

I will go into everything cars, mowers etc. I need to do a transmission service on my truck and need to do a hydro on my mower, 10 hour break in is now over due.....
  10. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

I'd break it in longer than that.

i'd probably go for 50 hours. 10 hours is not very long