1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What types of services do you guys do?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bkwilliams, Jan 27, 2003.

1. bkwilliams

bkwilliams LawnSite Member

Besides mowing and maintaining the turf, what other services do you provide for your clients? For instance, do some of you guys prune trees or even plant trees and shrubs? Also, what is the average cost a client is charged for lawn care? :blob4:
  2. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

I have equipment such as a 1 ton dump truck, compact 4wd tractor w/front loader and a 1 acre gravel lot with storage bins for mulch & rock and such. During my off season and often in season when I can I will apply much or rock, plant trees & bushes, install beds, clean gutters, bush-hog, plow snow and do all kinds of landscaping.
    I keep very busy in summer with mowing however. I find it best to charge a price based on size and difficulty of a yard. Never by the hour. I charge a good price, not too much or too little (I want to average $40.00 to $60.00 an hour with my equipment, sometimes I average more or less) and most likely I will wind up getting customers in same area. Now, I am allways mowing 3 to 7 yards every time I drop my tail gate. On my mowing rig I have a Scag 72", scag 52", Byers 36"(fits all gates),Snapper 21", several Echo string trimmers and blowers. Plus my shed is full of other toys when I need them
  3. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I will clean gutters, trim grass, clean cars, anything that makes money that nets mostly profit.
  4. PR0 TURF

PR0 TURF LawnSite Bronze Member

Irrigation...lawn sprinkler system installation & repairs is a big chunk of our business

5. GraZZmaZter

GraZZmaZter LawnSite Senior Member

Snowplow, Salt. I bought a 4 wheeler to fix up and resell this winter. Than theres always the Harley....
  6. 2 man crew

2 man crew LawnSite Senior Member

1st year we offered mowing and trimming, spring and fall clean ups

2nd year I added snow plowing, aeration and dethatching

3rd year I added a fertilizing and weed control program

4th year I added Shrub trimming

5th year I added Snow removal and salt sanding

6th year I added sprinkler system start up, blow out, and maintenance.

I think the key is to start out with what you know you can handle and only add services when you know there is a demand and you can perform them efficiently with the rest of your services.

Offering to many services that are not lawn care or landscape related makes you look hard up for money and not really a pro in any one thing.

Looking like a pro and being knowledgeable in the services you provide is why some guys can and are charging more per labor hour than others.

Also less services offered will keep you focused and more efficient.
  7. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Tree pruning and removal, firewood sales, retaining walls, install beds, tree planning, bush-hog, snow removal and all kinds of landscaping.

8. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

We're pretty much full service except for pavers & irrigation. I believe to be profitable in these 2 phases that 1. you have to have a lot of expensive equipment (skidsteer, ditch witch, vibratory plow, diamond cut off saws, plate tamper, etc) 2. you have to do a lot of these jobs to become proficient at them 3. You need to be licensed (for irrigation in our state) and preferably certified for pavers.
    We do everything else from clean-ups, mowing, mulching, pruning, fertilizing, landscape design & install and shrub pruning. We also do snow clearing and salting.
  9. JeffY

JeffY LawnSite Senior Member

We do it all pretty much from clean-ups, landscaping installation/design, mulching/bed installation, sprinkler installs/maintainence, shrub pruning, gutter clean-outs, retaining walls, salting/plowing, fertilization,
  10. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

§ Design, Enhancement, Installation
    § Irrigation + Drainage Systems
    § Retaining Walls
    § Decorative Block + Paver Walls, Stairs, Walks & Patios
    § Sod or Seed Installation/Repairs
    § Landscape Lighting

§ Seal Coating
    § Hot Pour Crack Filling
    § Line Striping
    § Patching