what tyupe of insurance policy do i need

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by bdemir, Jan 7, 2000.

1. bdemir

bdemir LawnSite Senior Member

i have one truck and i want to get another one next year and jump right into commercial work i might get 2 next year and then have three total. What kind of insurance would i need for commercial work.Is there a certain type of plowing insurance or do i just tell my agent a certain amount of coverage. I want the right insurance but i also dont want to get sued. Will i need insurance to cover other subcontractors or will they need to cover themselves.

2. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

This subject is already covered in the Commercial Lawn Care Forum. See the replies there.<p>Bill

3. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Don't grow too quick i saw a guy do that last year and got in a big time jam. He tried to do 2 condo complexs very big 15 acers totatl, 45 driveways, 10 parking lots, 45 driveways at another condo. All with 3 trucks a f 350 rack body, f 350 dump body, and a f 250 hd pick up. Anyways he could handle the two condo complexs, and i got them after two storms. First thing i brought in was a loader with a 12' blade. I took these properties over after we got 6&quot; of sleet and the 350 of his couldn't make the long runs needed. This 6&quot; was what was left of the blizzard you guys got in last year in chicago.<p>Geoff

4. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Then he lost a lot of his other accounts during the winter, because he didn't do them right or it took to long. Trouble was he didn't think he had to employ shovelers, thought it could be done by the driver.<p>Geoff

5. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

You will need business commercial laibility insurance for your plowing business. Then you will need commercial auto insurance policy for each of your trucks.Make sure that your agent knows that you are plowing.<br>As far as your subs are concerened make sure that they ahve their own insurance. If you provide the insurance, the IRS will consider you their employer and you will be on the hook for with holding , comp,and 1/2 of their SS.<br> None of us wants to be sued, but it will probably happen sooner or later, so make sure that you have at least 1 mil coverage, and becoming a, LLC wont hurt either.<br>Dino <p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org