1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

"what? u blow the clippings, right back on the lawn?"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, May 13, 2006.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

another nutjob.............she complained about the helicopters on the street, along her curbline. i said i aint cleaning them. she said well, there are grass clippings mixed in with them. i said, well, if u move the helicopters, i'll blow the clippings back on the lawn. she goes, what do u mean, blow the clippings back on the lawn? i said, yes, thats what we do, after we mow, we blow the grass clippings from the walkways + driveway, back on the lawn. green on green granny, you can't even tell. this upset her, she said from now on, the clippings can't be blown back on to the lawn, they need to be swept up and put in the garbage can. sure, i'll get right on it:rolleyes:
  2. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

Boy, you got more stories than a one-legged man in a coffee shop. :dizzy:
  3. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

more stories than a one legged man at an ass kicking contest.....
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

It's too funny ...
  5. hillndale

hillndale LawnSite Member
    from Maine

I don't know how this Bobby Dread has any customers at all. Is he the only LCO there. Seems your customer base is a "captive" audience and they all work for you. Must be a Jersey thing. :weightlifter:

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I mean, bg... It's just the helos by the curb, right?

Would it kill you, after you're done cutting, to take the blower and either blow them up under some brush (junipers are good for this) or blow them into a pile, tarp and rake and dump into the woods? 5 minutes, if it takes that long...

Look, I grossly underbid a job 2 days ago. 5k sq. foot lot if it was all of 7k that is a lot, but the grass was tall and I underestimated 2 parts where it was real thick. Omg, I almost lost my tail because it was SOoooo thick! But circumstances, location saved me. The thickest stuff was by the paved driveway (good thing it wasn't gravel), and since I couldn't blow the mother load of clippings into the neighbors yard, I had no choice but to aim the chute onto their driveway... That covered almost half their driveway in clippings so thick you couldn't see the driveway no more... But as much as I was hating life, that actually saved me because I then took the blower and piled them some, then took the rake and piled them even more, then tarp + rake and off into the woods behind their house... And, blow off the little bit that was left.
    If it took 5 minutes... And, I don't bag.

My customer was eccstatic about how good it all looked, I was relieved I squeezed it into the budget of the estimate.
    But it all works out, you just kinda got to let it go some, then do what you got to do to make it look right.
    We're not talking helos everywhere, just the stuff by the curb, right?
    It's no problem, ohhhh yeah those things, uh-huh and smile.
  7. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

yes topsites, it would kill me. because......from that moment on, i just set a precident= if there is debris on the lawn or property, i clean it, for free. :nono: can't do it. 5 minutes is more than 30% of the time i spend actually mowing the lawn. 5 minutes per day x 20 customers per day= 100 minutes, per day, unbillable. not a chance
  8. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

Yes it is the principle and the precedent. I no longer do any extra crap (they request)for people without it being an invoiced event. I mean if I decide to do something on my own, so be it.

The worst are the last of the mow and blow clients from my early days. They all seem to think I am their personal go-for. Just hoping that price increases and being told "NO" will give them the hint.
  9. Ol'time Lawncare

Ol'time Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

You know, i know what your talkin about. just the other day i was a clients house and she has a holly tree that when it drys up like it is now the leaves fall all over her side walk and street curb. well i started to clean it all up and stopped my self and said , you don't do this! as i was walking though the yard the lady came out and said to me, Are you not going to clean the street to? with that i laught and said NOPE i'm not your street cleaner!
  10. freddyc

freddyc LawnSite Senior Member

They're all his relatives....that's why he said Granny.