wHAT U THINK ABOUT OLD PEOPLE AND PAYING U

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dirt biker 54, Nov 24, 2003.

1. dirt biker 54

dirt biker 54 LawnSite Member

I DO SOME WORK FOR OLDER PEOPLE AND THEY DO NOT WANT TO PAY THEY TRY TO DO ANYTHING TO GET OUT OF PAYING OR THEY WILL ADD MORE AND MORE THINGS BUT THEY DONT WANT TO PAY eX. CUT THE GRASS OK THEN THEY WILL SAY O CAN U DO ME A FAVOR AND MOVE THEM BRICKS NOW THIS WAS NOT 1 OR 2 BRICKS THIS WAS LIKE 50 I DONT HAVE TIME TO DO THAT AND THEY WANT IT DONE FOR FREE
    THEY JUST WANT THE WORK DONE FOR FREE !!! :angry:
    WHAT U GUYS SAY ABOUT THIS

2. BravesFan

BravesFan LawnSite Member

I'll do a few quick 2-3 minute chores if they promise not to talk to me for 20 minutes.

Dennis

3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

I say elderly people are the best payers. When their bill goes out at the end of the month, they are the first ones to send their checks in.
    Are you going to the door each time you cut the grass to get paid?
    If you are then, stop!
    Set up a different type of payment method. Bill once a month, and have the customer send their check to you.
    Do you have a checking or savings account set up where you would be able to cash checks?

Also, please turn off the caps. It is too hard to read.

4. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

True, They are the first one's to pay.

5. Some of em might try nickel and dimeing ya .....but they sure pay on time.I have very few problems getting paid by old folks. The biggest problem i have is getting away from em when they get to talking

6. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

I agree with Jodi and J Hisch.Older people are the best payers we have.At contract signings for installs, we require 30% down, 30 % the day we start, and bill the last 40% 14-30 days.The old folks want to pay in advance for the entire job! It's the guy in the $ 600K house with 3 Beamers and Mercedes in the driveway we are leary of. They are too strapped for cash, and want discounts for everything, and then take three months to pay. I'll take an old grandma type over all of them together.We bill the same way, monthly by mail, and this eliminates unnecessary requests and 30 min. discussions about the weather. If they want something else, they call ahead, and I bill them accordingly.

7. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

My elderly customers are always the first to pay and are very faithful. They're also my best tippers. I find it funny that they will beat me up on a price for something, and then give me a tip when I'm done!

I don't mind doing small favors for them or any other customers, but I would probably draw the line at moving 50 bricks for free.

I get all sorts of requests. Everything from moving patio furniture to fixing dripping faucets. One 85 YO lady actually called me and wanted me to unplug her computer for her (bad back, can't bend over or kneel) so she could take it to the shop for an upgrade. My wife stopped in and did it for her N/C.

8. mowdini

mowdini LawnSite Member

Older people are the BEST to deal with. Prompt, prompt, prompt!!!

9. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Respect your elders, If yout lucky you might get to be one! Move the 50 bricks, heck your 15 yrs. old how long can it possably take you to do it? And you don't have time? Your not Bill Gates or jack welch, all you do have is time. So I say grow up and quit your bit^*#g your lucky the old folks let you work for them. And if there such a pita, quit! I bet they have you replaced and never miss a mow.

Mac

10. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

I agree with Jodi and J Hisch.Older people are the best payers we have.At contract signings for installs, we require 30% down, 30 % the day we start, and bill the last 40% 14-30 days.The old folks want to pay in