what up with Lawnboy

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnchopper, Jun 26, 2004.

1. lawnchopper

lawnchopper LawnSite Member

Ive been reading posts about 21" mowers and wondering whats up with Lawnboy??? someone said there going out of business some say they are dropping there 2 stroke motor. I know they are owned by toro and now I see they have Honda engines on them and look similar to the toro 22".
    Ive been thinking of purchasing one to start mowing small lawns on the side and Id like a 2 stroke LB cause they last forever You still see Lbs that are 3o yrs old still being used.
    What is the future with LB????

2. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Lowes still carries a 2 stroke but it is not the old commerical unit.
    Toro owns Lawnboy and yes they make a few that are the same as Toro. The 2 stroke is out next year for good. If you want a commerical 2 cycle than your best bet is to shop the dealers and beg them to find one. They dont make any more so it's what is left somewhere. You may find a Toro hiding out there.
    Was at my dealer today and his feeling is that lawnboy green will disappear totally in a few years.

3. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

my dealer has 75% honda powered and 25% two stroke,
    Damn you EPA!!

4. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

its a sad day for sure when that happens the first(lightweight)
    rotary mower the best mulching mower made ever

5. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Amen sawman, I hate the cursed EPA. First 2 stroke street bikes, soon dirtbikes and now mowers and trimmers for cryin' out loud curse them and the damn hippy tree huggers that support them!!!

6. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

oh ya dont forget snowmobiles are going to have to change to a different engine in 2006

7. Steve9

Steve9 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Jetskis are already changing.....

8. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

:gunsfirin :gunsfirin :gunsfirin :gunsfirin :gunsfirin :gunsfirin :gunsfirin EPA

9. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

I like four cycles on mowers as it saves lots of cash on mix every week and they get better gas mileage as it only fires half as much. Light is good but not worth the trade off IMO.

10. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Tons of Cash to Run 2-Stroke Mowers?!?!

I can Fill 5-1Gallon Tanks for Less than $4 of Oil...

...Factor in Increased Maint. of 4 Strokes...Much Heavier Weight...2 Stroke 21"s Are Much More Productive than 4 stroke Montrosities....

Luckily I stocked Up!