what up with the backpack blowers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sirsweatsalot, Sep 21, 2002.

1. sirsweatsalot

sirsweatsalot LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

ok all of you guys with the backpack blowers do you use these things for blowing the grass of side walks after mowing? if you do what wrong with a good old echo pb? do you like loading up with the backpack or something?

2. Don't get what you mean but I try to buy the most powerful with the most CFM, leaves and speed of clearing debris is time, time = money!!!

3. sirsweatsalot

from MN

so you like the power it has then. the point i was trying to figure out is why is the back pack better then the hand held version.

4. Mow&Snow

Mow&Snow LawnSite Senior Member

Hand held blowers have thier place on the side walk, but there is no substitute for too much power....

5. sirsweatsalot

from MN

so what im hearing is the they are better for like bigger jobs where raking takes to much time. right?

6. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

If your looking to spend your $ on a blower for lawn care, just pass on the handheld, and get a backpack blower.

7. sirsweatsalot

from MN

i have a hand held one but i was wondering why the other is better. do all of you just use backpack ones or do you also have hand held ones?

8. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

It's nice to be able to stuff a couple of stray leaves in the bushes or blow some grass out of a bed from 25 feet away while doing routine maintenance too! I walk over the whole lawn with my BP blower breaking up any clumps and blowing stray sticks into the woods, etc. and usually have it up to full rpms for at least a moment on every property. In other words, I don't just blow the drive and walks when I do a property. The only reason I'm thinking of buying a handheld is I think they're better for getting leaves out of shrubs, especially next to buildings. Also better for pool areas. It's sometimes impossible to get the air stream where you want it with a BP because you can't stand where you would need to.

9. sirsweatsalot

from MN

thank you.

10. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I use handhelds all summer long, much easier to load and unload. Especially when we are just blowing grass off walks. The back packs just got pulled out this week, getting ready for leaves!!