1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

what uses have you found for hedge clippers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by snapper, Feb 7, 2011.

1. snapper

snapper LawnSite Senior Member

so what uses have you found for hedge clippers other then bushes? I have used mine for vines and briars. Just wondering what other neat uses others out there might of found that i hadn't thought of..

Later!! chris
  2. exmark user

exmark user LawnSite Senior Member

I trim my bush wi th them ! lol jk . vines and ivy small twigs on trees
  3. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

toenails. works great.

oh, and of course ornamental grasses and shrubs. cutting down perennials in spring or fall
  4. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

Ornamental Grasses
  5. djchiodo3

djchiodo3 LawnSite Senior Member

Cutting snakes heads off when they are to slow to move.
  6. alexschultz1

alexschultz1 LawnSite Bronze Member

cutting my nails.
  7. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Ornamental grasses, perennials. The long reach kind that have an articulating head work good for small areas that need "brush hogged". The stuff you cut off has to be raked up but it's less messy than using a mower.

I also found they work well at cutting fingers to the bone. oops. That one sucked and serves as a constant reminder than hedge trimmers are nearly as dangerous as a chainsaw and DO need to be respected.
  8. shooterm

shooterm LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

I was helping cut down a tree for my girlfriends brother and got all antsy about his overgrown landscape. Just used the chainsaw as a hedge trimmer. Cleared everything with it and I was extremely surprise how fast it went :laugh:.
  9. Sutherland

Sutherland LawnSite Member

The first time my foreman handed me the hedge shear I learned how to open up my knee cap with them. They had just been sharpend and didn't realize I had cut thourgh my shorts and opened my leg until I felt the warm blood running.
  10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I have found that you can significantly reduce the amount of trimming from bushes by raking them into a pile and cutting down into them with hedge trimmers. You keep rolling the pile with you foot and cutting until very little is left and can be easily bagged.