what vehicle do you use?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by KingMoneyNYC, May 27, 2008.

1. KingMoneyNYC

KingMoneyNYC LawnSite Member

I use have a 2 man crew...currently I use a pickup with a trailer, I was wondering if maybe it would be better to switch to a small box truck, my main reason being for better gas mileage. I was interested in a dodge sprinter Box truck, the 5 cylinder diesels get somewhere around 25 mpg, while im probabaly only getting 13 mpg with my truck. Maybe its not even worth it, I see everyone with the small dump trucks, what do you guys use? and what do you think of my idea?

2. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

ford Ranger

3. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

its in my signature line.

4. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer LawnSite Silver Member

I thought maybe a box truck, a step van, or a 1500 or 2500 with a landscape bed on it. I thought about trucks like this, but it seems that I can only use it 8 months or less out of the year since I live in Minnesota. I'm better off with my 1500 with the 12' trailer.

5. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

i think people waste more money switching, upgrading, downgrading, whatever, just changing rigs than they could ever spend in gas... even at 5 bucks a gallon.

6. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

rent one and see how it works out for ya.................

Good luck

7. SILVERSTREAK INC

SILVERSTREAK INC LawnSite Senior Member

yeah true, rent one first

ive done it and i gotta say its about 100 times easier to cut out of a pickup

if i could do it again id get a cab and a half f150 with a 6cyl

i cut for 4 years in my 1994 f250 diesel cab and a half, till the transmission started to go (had almost 400k miles on it) was great on fuel and plenty of power for my dual axle trailer

now i cut out of a single cab 2000 powerstroke, pain in the butt when i run 4 guys, i use less fuel than when i had my 2001 5.4gas pickup but it costs more now, so go figure

8. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

the sprinters are great, not sure about the fuel mileage though if you load it down w/ mowers. the listed MPG is probably more for like a delivery van or UPS. The cube version like you're talking about also has LOTS more drag than the standard sprinter.

9. Dunlaps LawnCare

Dunlaps LawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

chevy s10 we use

10. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX LawnSite Gold Member

2500HD Silverado D-Max!!