What Vehicle to Get?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by greenteamlawns, Oct 11, 2010.

1. greenteamlawns

greenteamlawns LawnSite Member

I am starting my own fertilizing/weed control business in MI next season. I am planning to start with a 100-200 gallon skid sprayer and a push spreader.

Should I get a truck or a van? What size? Will a 200 gallon skid sprayer fit in a 3/4 ton van?

I am leaning towards a van because I like the idea of keeping the tank enclosed and out of (the customers) mind.

2. Hissing Cobra

Hissing Cobra LawnSite Senior Member

From personal experience, I recommend that you stay away from the vans. The vapors from the chemicals will fill the cab and you'll be exposed to them constantly throughout the day, each time you drive. They can be too much, believe me! A box truck where the box is separate from the cab would be a suitable alternative, as would a pickup truck.

Whatever you buy, make sure it can handle the weight of the sprayer and the liquid when it's full. Each gallon weighs about 8 lbs. so if you have a 200 gallon sprayer, you're looking at 1,600 lbs. + the weight of the spray tank unit. Also, you'll have to factor in your bags of fertilizer and spreader as well. Generally speaking, a Ford F-350 or a Chevy/GMC series 3,500 should be pretty good for you (if you decide to go with a pickup truck).

3. get a pickup, you don't want to smell that crap.

4. fl-landscapes

fl-landscapes LawnSite Silver Member

those fumes are not only unhealthy, they will also cause corosion inside the van, not a good thing

5. greenteamlawns

thank you for the input. i didn't think about the effects of the chemical being inside the vehicle all day.

is a lesco space saver the best bet for the back of a truck?

What push spreader seems to be the best?

6. CHARLES CUE

CHARLES CUE LawnSite Silver Member

I would go with a space saver it will give you some bed sapce if you go with a fleet side bed.

If you went with a 1 ton with daul wheels and a flat bed you could turn a skid sprayer side ways.

Charles Cue

7. sedge

sedge LawnSite Fanatic

I am buying a cab over diesel Isuzu for my new business we are starting this year, which is kinda a gm product depending on how you want to look at it.

Can buy good used ones for 6k, they are short and very dependable.

8. greenteamlawns

what isuzu model is it?

9. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

The isuzu diesel/cabover is probably the most reliable worktruck ever built! I have been running one for 8 seasons, great worktrucks!

10. RBatten

RBatten LawnSite Member
    from FL

npr, nqr, npr hd