What walk behind do you recommend

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Harris Bothers, Jun 13, 2001.

1. Harris Bothers

Harris Bothers LawnSite Member

I was wonderign what walk behind you would reccomend. Our company is looking at a 36''/48'' walkbehind w/velke. Looked at Toro's. What do you recommend?
  2. turfquip

turfquip LawnSite Senior Member

No offense but that's like asking Ford or Chevy...

or which beer tastes better.

The bottom line is buy a premium brand Toro, Exmark, Scag, etc.

One that you feel comfortable with during the demo.

If you will be buying it from a dealer as opposed to buying it online then make sure it's a dealer you can trust. Will he offer you a loaner if yours goes down? Does he keep parts in stock?

If you will be buying from a dealer there are more important considerations than price. If you buy it online, price is the main consideration.
  3. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

I choose the Great Dane Scamper 48" after suffering thru 2 seasons using a Bob-Cat mower. Consider how often you will be using the mower, if it will be often I would avoid ANY pistol type mowers, i.e. Bob-Cat, Scag, Lesco, and so on. Great Dane, Exmark, Toro, and Hustler have improved systems to help prevent hand numbness and carpel tunnel.'

4. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

If I was in the market for a wb, I would look at Hustler and Howard Price. Howard Price has a 9 degree swiveling deck to help follow the ground conture, also the deck is off set to the left for better trim cutting.

5. turfquip

turfquip LawnSite Senior Member

See there we go, responses pouring in. Kirby says don't buy a pistol grip. I used pistol grip Buntons for 10 years. Could have gone 10 more years. Who's right...who's wrong?

Buy the machine you feel most comfortable with during the demo.

6. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

If I was buying a walk-behind, Exmark or Toro would be the choice for me. They have some of the better "handling" systems availible as well as Great Dane. I've heard alot of good things about Exmark and with the new ECS (Enhanced Control System) system on the Turf Tracer HP's, they have some advantages over the competition. I've seen the Exmark machines perform while on vacation (go figure :D) and I was very impressed at how fast they can mow and do such a good job of it in Seattle's normal, rainy weather. What you should consider as well is a good dealer. You don't want one that will back out if you need service. A good dealer is something I DON'T have. I used to have a John Deere dealer that didn't have anything but residential mowers and Stihl power equipment. Well, since they were also selling tractors for agriculture and since agriculture has taken a serious plunge, they closed their branch closest to me. Now I have to travel 45 miles to get oil and etc. and they still don't carry Toro mowers. I am in some luck, though. From what Toro says, there is a dealer that sells Toro commercial equipment 45 miles away and I've been into the shop before and never saw anything but residential stuff but that was a couple of years ago so they might have broadened their inventory. So you see, a good dealer is something else to factor in when you purchase. Any name brand mower that has a good dealer would probably do but I recommend Toro or Exmark. That's my .02
  7. shorelinelawn

shorelinelawn LawnSite Member

Try them all, see what you like, and then ask questions.
    How close is dealer to your area ? if you break or need parts, are they 10 minutes, or an hour away ? Free loaner when in for service?
    Length of warranty ? Are you comfortable using machine ?
    I have a 48" Lesco, and a 32" Bobcat. Both gear drive. The handle bars a different angle, and height , yet I'm comfortable with both.
    Maybe if a COnvention, or show is coming up, that would help you out too !
    Good luck !
  8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I like pistol grips, they fit my hands very well and have no complaints. I have used SCAG, LESCO and Exmark pistol grips and the new Exmark ECS seemed awkward. The Toro just looks complicated, yet it may be OK, never tried one. Now if you are spending 10 hrs a day behind one, comfort may come into play sooner. For me, I'm behind mine for less than 5hrs a week!
  9. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

I own a 2000 Exmark Metro HP with a 48" deck. It really works great, absolutly NO problems with it in a season and a half of use. Leaves one of the best cuts I've seen out there. I would recommend it to you, and anyone else. There are other good brands out there too, but Exmark makes a damn good mower.
  10. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Exactly as Esby writes, I have the same machine, and feel the same. No complaints.

Areas differ, buy what can be supported.