What Walk behind do you suggest

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Drivefaster35, May 1, 2007.

1. Drivefaster35

Drivefaster35 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Ok I have 2 John deere 7h17's barnd freakin new and had nothing but stupid problems with them and looking to replace them. I need suggestions on new ones I need something that I can bag with and mulch with and something in the 48inch range. I'm thinking exmark Toro or maybe Gravley any suggestions would be great.
  2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

dual drive Ferris, very reliable and built tough
  3. Budget

Budget LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa.

I agree with rodfather, I just picked up a new Ferris 48" 15 hp. DD, I have about 10 hrs.. Works great on the hills and cuts very nice. Its a heavy duty machine.
  4. louviljlj

louviljlj LawnSite Member

I got a Toro and I have problems with it with no support from Them. When I have brought it in for service or I have called the Toro Support it's like they don't even know that they make Walkbehinds.
  5. POPO4995

POPO4995 LawnSite Bronze Member

What problems have you had with Deere?
  6. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

I love gravely mowers. We had a pro-50 with 18hp kohler that lasted 3,200 hours with zero down time except for 1 set of belts and 1 peerless transmission. It still ran and worked well when we sold it to a friend. Nice cut and bullet proof mowers.
  7. BMFD92

BMFD92 LawnSite Senior Member

i have had nothing but good luck with my scag
  8. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought a Exmark ECS Metro last week. My decision was based on reliabilty, dealer support, and cost in that order.
  9. Drivefaster35

Drivefaster35 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

For some reason when the mowers stopped and left running for any period of time (to empty the bagger) the exhaust gets so hot that it burn the grass a big dead spot. Deere's known about the problem for 3 years and instead of fixing it they wait tell somebody reports the problem then the dealer has to fab up a shield that goes underneith. Therefore I hatd pissed off customers with burnt spots all over there lawns and so to make it up to them had to comp the mowing, ended up being about $1910 worth of work not to mention countless headaces lost time man hours that I ahd to pay my employee for to just stand around while we tried fixing the problem, driving back and forth to the dealer thats 25 miles away every day 10 days ina row a big freakin mess and Deere basiclly said the problems should be fixed and all other things such as money time and hassle's my problem. Deere really screwed me on this plus one of them pully's came loose at 20 hours and dug into the deck and a 777 was leaking coolent and is in the shop right now getting the valves reajusted cause they didnt get it right the first time Deere hasent heard the last from me!!!!! :nono:
  10. Jay74

Jay74 LawnSite Member

Hustler Trimstar Hydro 48".