What walk behind for commercial use?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by stevenf, Jan 25, 2008.

1. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

Ive decided to not be lazy and save some money by getting a walk behind rather then rider.
    Between these mowers. What would you pick, and why?
    Scag 36"/16Kaw hydro
    Toro 40"/15kaw hydro
    Exmark 36"/15Kaw hydro

Also, Whats your input on gear drivin wb's? Do they have the slip problems that belt drive has?
  2. Big C

Big C LawnSite Bronze Member

Look at the Quick 36...cheaper than most...hyro works good to me, this is my 1st experience with one.
  3. stevenf

How does the 5mph speed work for you? Do you have the 15Kaw? Is it enough power? What problems have you had with it?
  4. Big C

Big C LawnSite Bronze Member

The speed is good for small subdivision style lawns....I have the Q36 with the 14.5hp Briggs and step-saver.....great mower with no problems so far..... Where are you in La.?
  5. RyGuyusMaximus

RyGuyusMaximus LawnSite Member

The biggest hydro you can afford. Why dont you want a rider?
  6. 2 clowns mowing

2 clowns mowing LawnSite Senior Member

rich mfg convertible 48, 52, and 60" deck. sales a ztr rider that can also be used as a walk behind when needed. they sell to dr power and offer a 4 year extended warranty for 159.00 more dr only sells 48 or 52" decks but the price is CHEAP! $5596 for the 52" and $4796 for 48" walk behind that mows at 13 mph!.
  7. Messingersales

Messingersales LawnSite Member

You can buy and Exmark Viking 36" hydro walk behind for about $400 less than a 34" Exmark Phazer rider. If you are looking to really save some money I would recommend a belt drive. We have had very few if any problems with these.
  8. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

I will answer about the ones you listed. I had a 36" Scag and have used the 36 Exmark Turf Tracer. The Scag is built like a tank I would get the Scag. The Exmarks ecs system is a nice feature but the pistol grips have come along way also. Don't recommend gear or belt drive. Why? Test drive or do a search on here about them and you will understand why hydro is superior.
  9. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Any of the hydro's that you listed are good machines. Scag's are bullet proof but I prefer the TTHP for my applications. You should demo all 3 of them and decide which one is right for you. Belt drives aren't worth it imo. In my area we deal with steep inclines every day. The drive belts will slip and wear faster in this enviroment. Reverse becomes a joke after 3-4 hrs on a new set of belts. Not to mention, that when cutting wet grass the belts will slip. I bought a new Exmark Metro last April, put about a 100hrs on it and traded it in for the TTHP, so I'm speaking from experience.
  10. stevenf

I am in Baton Rouge.

Do gear drives have the same slip problem as belt drives?
    The reason for getting a WB is because it is alot cheaper. I can get a 36" WB and upgrade to a rider later on.