What walk behind is easiest on the hands?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ealbertson, May 14, 2006.

1. ealbertson

ealbertson LawnSite Senior Member

I am looking for a 48 or 52" walk behind that has controls that take very little effort to use. My wife doesn't have much strength in her hands and is having trouble with the ecs controls on our eXmarks. The eXmarks are great otherwise.

2. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Toro T-BAR controls!

3. Mr Ricochet

Mr Ricochet LawnSite Member

Ed, I use the ECS and, after 45 straight minutes or more my hands are a little cramped on my belt drive. I will say this, I demoed a hydro with ECS for a couple days and, found those levers to be much more touchy requiring less strength........The Toro guys with the T-Bar control say that machine is easy to handle. Do a search on the T-Bar............Do you have a belt drive or hydro?............Good luck.

4. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

Bunton/Jacobsen with z controls. Or Lesco, but that's of lesser quality IMO.

5. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

Gravely's ProSteer maybe - if you have no hills and she actually walks behind it.

6. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a hydro Hustler walkbehind that is the easiest of all. It is like a motorcycle grip. You twist it forward to go forward, and backwards to go in reverse. You twist it forward and angle the motorcycle grips to go left and same thing for right. The hydros make it real easy for anyone to use.

This has got to be the easiest walkbehind to use in the WORLD and not carpel tunnel problems. It is expensive but your wife will love it. Try it before you buy anything else.

This will make a great Mothers gift, birthday present, Christmas gift, I only want to get the best for you gift. :laugh:

7. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

The one you purchase for your employees :drinkup: Oh, and you are paying her. More than you relize

8. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

I second what DSL1 is saying, it is leaps and bounds above the competition.

9. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I have a T-bar gear drive and love it. Ive demoed a T-bar hydro, I didnt get a chance to get used to it , but it was jerky and not smooth, maybe with more practice it would of been ok. I like the design on the hustler but we dont have a dealer to demo one from, so I cant comment on it.

wayne

10. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

Have you considered a Stander?