What walk behind mower to buy???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jrustad7, May 24, 2005.

1. jrustad7

jrustad7 LawnSite Member

Hey guys. I'm a 17 year old, just finishing up my junior year in high school. I've always loved cutting grass and making it look good. I work at the local golf course during the summer. I'm looking to getting a couple of lawns this summer to make a little money on the side. I'm wondering what kinda walk behind mower I should get? I have to get it with a 36 deck because thats all i can fit in my truck. I was looking at a Scag and husqvarna the other day, both belt drives, 36 in deck. They were around the same price too. Can anybody help me out too which my first walk behind should be?

Thanks for all your help guys!!!!
    james

2. Mowerboy04

Mowerboy04 LawnSite Bronze Member

i just bought a toro proline 36" for 2600, it has a 13hp kawisiki engin its a great mower for the price and the cut is excelent. The other walk behind i like is ferris but i think they cost a little more
    hope this helps alex

3. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a Toro Proline 36" WB mower, belt drive w/ 13 HP Kawi V-Twin engine, and I love it! It has an excellent qualtity of cut and stripe! I bought mine a few months ago with the Grass Gobbler catcher (works great!) for about $2,750 out the door. I have a Bob-Cat 48" WB and it's also a truly fantastic mower!!!! A 36" Bob-Cat (not the "Classic") is about $3,000. You can't go wrong with either a Bob-Cat or Toro Proline mower!! I've heard a few not so good things about scag's deck design BTW.

4. AdamCByrd

AdamCByrd LawnSite Member

Listen to this...it doesn't matter if you buy the best mower money can buy, you need to get it from a good dealer. Talk to the dealers in your area about service. Look around their showroom to see if they look professional. Do they have a full time mechanic? Parts man? Are they friendly when you walk in the door? Ask them if they will loan you a demo model if your's breaks while it's still under warranty so that you can get your jobs done. Good dealers who care about their commercial customers will do this. Ask if they keep major parts on hand (so you don't have to wait a few days for something simple like a belt or pulley). I guarantee you that these questions are as important as the brand you buy and the price you pay. No matter what type of mower you buy, it WILL need service in a matter of time.

As far as mowers,

SCAG is a heavy duty mower that is over engineered for taking abuse...great walk behind mower. I would stick to hydro because I hate the Peerless gear drive transmission. Too many maintenance problems.

I like John Deere walk behinds too, but they are pricy. I have a 7H17. They make a good 36" cut deck too.

I'm also impressed with Cub Cadet. They make some heavy duty stuff.

Hope this helps,
    Adam

5. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Exmark makes a pretty bullet proof belt drive walkbehind. I got my metro when I was 14. Its 8 years old a still running strong. :)