what walkbehind to buy

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TClawn, May 31, 2004.

1. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

can you please make a recomendation on which walkbehind to get?

my choices are limeted to john deere, toro, and exmark. (these are the only dealers around here) I'm looking in the price range of about $4000-$4500 prefeably a 36" any suggestions?

2. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

too many what kinda walkbehind posts anymore.

Do a search and you'll find a few "which walk behind should i buy" posts in the last week or two.

I would suggest exmark over jd (just neverliked jd) and toro still isn't as good as exmark in my eyes, look for good dealer support too.

3. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks Kc2006

I will do a search and see what I come up with.

4. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Talk to the guy at better Quick 36. Hes a sponsor here with a banner on top of the page. i think there about 2,000 dollars. if you do a search it got good reviews.

John

5. all degree

all degree LawnSite Senior Member

Its funny that people do not think toro's are as good as exmarks. Toro owns and makes exmark!

I love my toro 36. Kawa engine on it. I got it last season for $2000 new so for what you want to spend you should be able to get a good one. Get a hydro that was a big mistake that I made.

6. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I've looked at toro's and exmarks and i think exmarks deck is beefier then toro's. SInce they own and make exmark is that the reason exmark's quality is going slowly down hill???

7. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Belt drive = toro better (t bar steering)
    Hydro = Pick based on engine/deck combination that suits you best

Then again, if you need the 44" deck size the Toro is your only choice in a wb.

8. clean green

clean green LawnSite Member

get an exmark with a floating deck and kaw engine

9. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

what clean green said...

just because toro owns exmark DOES NOT mean they are the same. there are differences with decks (most models) and control systems. i personally tried to use a t bar once and just could not use that thing. i'll stick to pistol grips or ecs.

10. Burger

Burger LawnSite Member
    from Montana

Apparently I paid a bit much for this critter here, but I think I am in love.

exmark-1.jpg