what was he thinkin

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by yergus, May 11, 2002.

1. yergus

yergus LawnSite Member

i have a customer who i picked up last season that wanted us to mow his lawn. i used a 36 inch walk behind on his front lawn which is a simi- steep slope. well each week, a small portion of the lawn stayed wet, i told him that he had a leak in his irrigation system, buy i am a lawn care person, too stupid to know of such technical workings, he said that i was wrong! needless to say, last november the irrigation man fixed his busted pipes. Because the mower was tearing up the lawn, he demanded that i use a 21 inch push mower, so i do, at an increase in price of cource. this year i asked him if he wanted me to use the 36 incher now that his lawn was staying drier, and he nearly had a heart attack. well we cut his lawn once again last week with the 21 incher.
    In the mean time we picked up his next door neighbor, who had the same type lawn as he did, we used the 36 incher on it. The striping looked great, neighbors stopped by and commented on his lawn, and the older customer next door fell in love with his neighbors lawn and wanted to switch to who he was using. boy was he surprised when he found out that it was the same company he currently uses.
    guess who's lawn we use the 36 incher on now?
    if you guessed our customer we picked up last season you were wrong. he still wants the 21 incher. well i guess he can just sit back and admire his neighbors lawn. i guess some people just don't want to be happy, unless they are complaining

2. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Some people (shaking my head).... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    I sometimes wonder if I should even tell a new customer I'm going to use a 'big mower' on their lawn (32") just so they can see how good it cuts and stripes. Because that's what I give the estimate at. If they still want a pusher, that is fine, but it's extra $$$$ greenbacks!
    Anyone else NOT inform potential customers that your price is for using a big mower not a pusher, then if they want a pusher after seeing the big mower results say well it's extra. Your estimate was for the big mower. Do most of you do this as standard procedure or do you tell them right off the price difference and try to get them to at least give the big mower a try?

3. goodbeus

goodbeus LawnSite Senior Member

I give estimates based on using my 52" or 36" if I need to go through a gate...the only time I use my 21" is when the gate is so small, I can't get my 36" through it...out of 80 clients I have, there are 2 that I have to use the 21" to mow, and even then I'm done in 5 minutes...I have had clients and potential clients ask me to use the 21" and I quickly inform them that the price doubles...needless to say, they quickly reply with, "oh, o.k., just keep doing what you have been"...meanwhile, I'm thinking there is no way I'm going to bust my butt behind a 21" to cut a full size yard even if I quadrupled the priced...

4. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I don't cut any yard using 21 inch mower.

I lost one account in six years because of of my attitude.

it's my way or the highway (48 in. lesco).

my time was better spent down the road.

GEO

5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

AMEN!!!!