What was I thinking

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by absolutelawnman, Jul 29, 2004.

1. absolutelawnman

absolutelawnman LawnSite Member

My wife and I have been saving for a new house and I have not been putting money back into the business. However, I had a big landscape job and I went out and bought a 60" 27hp Kawasaki Scag with the profits!

This is the best thing I have ever bought for the business, saving me around 10 hours a week in mowing. I had been using a 48" Snapper walkbehind thinking I was in the money and never wanted anything bigger (afraid of ruts, not getting into the smaller yards etc) but now I unload that thing every chance I get.

I have not demoed many diffrent ztr but I would have to say this machine is fantastic. I cut through very thick and wet grass today and the machine never flinched.

Great machine to all who is thinking of buying!! I should have done it a long time ago!

2. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

good for you. glad you like it

3. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Good luck with the new machine...

4. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Glad to hear its doing well for you. Been looking into one here too. Most of our yards are quite steep & my walk behinds & sthm handle slopes well, how does yours do on slopes? I have a few flatter lawns it would speed things up on though.

5. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

Good luck with the wife...

6. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

You said it...........:eek:

7. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Haha yeah really. Well boys, I'd say it'll be awhile before this proud new Z owner replies- he'll be in the doghouse haha... Man you sunk that much money into a mower when your working on saving for a house- wow thats a gutsy move!

Anyway, congrats, and I am a somewhat new Z owner too. Got mine May 22nd this year. Glad I did it too. 52" was the only size for me. Too many places 60 won't go, or if it does, you go too slow trying to maneuver it. a 52" sneaks through small areas and you can easily maneuver tighter areas. Also with the vac bagger on it is about the same width as a 60" w/o bagger. I do see a 60" in my biz's future but not now. 52" does everything but 3' gates (and some of my small yards I do in 8 or 10 minutes myself time out of and into the truck. I did one in 6 or 7 minutes the other day, and so you know that some of my places are tiny! but that one there was no trimming or blowing. it's a dumpy place that's been condemned I just keep it knocked down every couple weeks and trim & blow as needed. But another place I do in 8 minutes and I have a little trim & blow there.

2.jpg

8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

have to agree with that one

9. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I know it really looks like the front right caster wheel on my Z is bent, but it’s not really! Somehow the camera angle caught it just right or it somehow got twisted once on the computer or something. But it’s not really like that! It looks awful in the pic doesn’t it?

10. absolutelawnman

absolutelawnman LawnSite Member

Boys the trick is put a very big down payment on it and then show her only the part you financed, and then as soon as you get home let her take it for a spin in your yard and tell her how much more time you will be able to spend with her now that you have the big machine!

By the way it handles great on slopes, low center of gravity, fuel is under the seat and extra wide tires!